Albireo are developing odevixibat initially to treat patients with PFIC, a rare genetic liver disease, and plan to consider additional development in other paediatric cholestatic liver diseases and disorders in the future. Their Phase 3 program in PFIC includes a single randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicentre clinical trial and an open-label long-term extension study. The double-blind trial, called PEDFIC1, is underway with data read out anticipated in the Middle of 2020. (June/July).
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has granted to the odevixibat PFIC program or elements of it fast track, rare paediatric disease and orphan drug designations. The European Medicines Agency (EMA) has granted odevixibat orphan designation, as well as access to the PRIority MEdicines (PRIME) scheme for the treatment of PFIC. Its Paediatric Committee has agreed to Albireo's odevixibat Pediatric Investigation Plan for PFIC. Both FDA and EMA also have granted orphan drug designation to odevixibat for the treatment of Alagille syndrome and primary biliary cholangitis. Albireo will commercialise Odevixibat in the US, Europe & Canada and will partner in remaining regions.
Job Title: Director of Patient Support Operations
Reports To: Senior Director, Patient Support
Location: Boston, MA
We have a unique opportunity for an experienced patient support leader who is inspired to aid in the buildout of a patient support organization to help change the lives of children and others with rare liver diseases. As Albireo’s Director of Patient Support Operations, you will participate in all patient support strategy and operations, with a focus on developing our patient support adherence model, designing and implementing innovative patient support offerings, and helping to create the ideal Patient Support journey and experience. This role will report to the Senior Director of Patient Support and is based in Boston, MA.
What makes this role special:
- Seek to have a profound impact on young children and their families.
- Potentially be part of the first launch of a medicine for a rare pediatric liver disease.
- Work on a portfolio of multiple potential therapies.
- Develop strategy, as well as manage execution.
- Help shape the culture and future of an emerging biopharma with a big vision.
- Collaborate with a small, collegial team of good people.
- Learn from leadership with deep experience and a history of success.
- Be part of an early biopharma company in an excellent financial position.
- Enjoy great work/life balance, including flex hours, ability to work remotely, generous holiday schedule and business-casual work environment.
Responsibilities (may vary): This description is not intended to provide an all-inclusive listing of duties and responsibilities. Duties may change at the discretion of management, and/or management may request duties be performed that are not listed. This job description is not a contract of employment and does not change your status as an at-will employee.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Focus on service offerings related to patient adherence.
- Build out Patient Support strategy and operations.
- Design, innovation and performance of the Patient Support Program.
- Collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders to implement program elements.
- Manage external Patient Support vendor partners.
- Design and implement CRM operations workflow and CTI communications systems.
- Help define the case manager role, interview and train a small in-house team of case managers.
- Manage patient reimbursement support and financial assistance programs.
- Work with Supply Chain to manage specialty pharmacy partners.
- Develop detailed process workflows, SOPs and KPIs.
- Track, analyze and communicate key patient support metrics.
- Participate in overall Patient Support budget management.
- Foster positive, supportive relationships with patients and their families.
- Ensure patients and their families are able to start and stay on therapy, and receive optimal care.
- Represent patients and their families within Albireo, helping us to meet their needs.
- Ensure full legal and regulatory compliance in our patient support interactions.
- Minimum 8 years of biopharma patient support experience
- Experience in the patient support role for a product launch, building and implementing patient support systems, building and managing patient support teams, and working with external partners
- Proficiency in all aspects of patient reimbursement (commercial and government), including benefit investigation, prior authorization, appeals, and payer policies and procedures
- Knowledge of commercial copay programs, patient assistance programs and foundation support
- Specialty pharmacy experience, including day-to-day management of programs
- Knowledge of HIPAA regulations, patient privacy and other legal policies
- Strong strategic thinking and ability to identify key dynamics amidst complexity
- Ability to inspire, motivate a team and drive for results
- Excellent project management ability
- High attention to detail, diligence and reliability
- Ability to work quickly and flexibly with resource constraints
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong, natural empathy and patient focus
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with a diverse team
- Partner management experience
- Results-driven mindset
- High level of ability in Word and PowerPoint
- Ability to travel in the U.S. and globally (up to about 20% travel)
- Bachelor’s degree