Assurant has an exciting opportunity for a Director, Outsourcing Strategy!
The Director, Outsourcing Strategy is accountable for identifying and recommending highly complex and diverse outsourcing models to support a global delivery model for Assurant businesses. S/he has direct accountability for partnering with businesses to develop strategic plans, sell (and partnering with) C-Level executives on the strategic ideas recommended within each business unit, being able to articulate the risks, benefits and interdependencies associated with all non-third party initiatives contained in the C-Level Strategic Growth Plans and ensuring that the annual third party spend plans are executed flawlessly so that they lead to targeted realized savings goals which typically exceed $10 million annually. Successful execution will largely be dependent upon this individual’s ability to complete a robust portfolio diagnostic, bring innovative solutions to the table, influence key executive stakeholders while leveraging resources that may have conflicting priorities and may not always fall within this individual’s span of control; will be dependent upon the individual’s ability to prioritize and manage a large portfolio of highly visible strategic initiatives that are reviewed multiple times each month with Assurant’s CEO, CFO, CTO and COO and are integral to delivering upon targeted profitable growth expectations that the Assurant CEO has communicated to the Board of Directors and the investor community. This position is accountable for the work of sourcing managers and specialists who may be leading the execution of one or more initiatives that role into the overall strategic outsourcing plan.
- Directly accountable for the creation of vision of a global delivery model and clearly articulate the strategic benefits of such model
- Lead BU council meetings to facilitate a robust portfolio diagnostic
- Leverages expertise and influence of Council to eliminate organization hurdles that may stall progress toward savings realization efforts.
- Accountable for aligning the diagnostic towards organizational and BU goals
- Advise and consult on innovative models of outsourcing i.e Outcome Based and Solution Oriented
- Maintain a strategic view of business objectives and how various projects fit within those objectives.
- Recommends the criteria against which initiatives are prioritized to ensure alignment with business and functional strategy.
- Responsible for establishing, managing, and maintaining relationships with key C-Level (L2’s) and SVP/VPs (L3) business leaders and stakeholders and building deep one on one relationships based upon trust and delivering results that meet C-Level expectations (i.e. IT, Operations, Finance, Business Unit leaders).
- Partner with the business by gaining an understanding of their strategic plans and priorities which require investments and changes to their third party needs; And by providing creative solutions that meet their goals and objectives.
- Communicate effectively across all channels to seek alignment with stakeholder expectations.
- Challenges the status quo, seeks resolution and action ensuring that key decision makers and stakeholders are held accountable and responsible for the optimal delivery of the portfolio of strategic initiatives that comprise the annual strategic spend plans.
- Coaches, and trains business partners and other stakeholders on outsourcing processes and best practices.
- Provide strategic and operational consulting guidance to Assurant senior leaders in addition to providing guidance to 3rd parties in an effort to drive operational efficiencies.
- Provide process improvement recommendations based upon deep subject matter expertise and tracking of relevant industry trends and best practices to enable the identification of future savings opportunities that lead to long term strategic road map creation.
- Leverage knowledge of human behavior and negotiation strategies to gain alignment between Assurant leaders and third party leaders so that both are working in partnership to drive tangible value by structuring win win scenarios in an environment where otherwise, the suppliers look at negotiations as win lose.
- Explore and recommend options to not only reduce cost of suppliers but to protect Assurant by reducing risk, automating processes and/or improving operating procedures.
- Communicate with C-Level stakeholders on a weekly (and sometimes daily) basis.
- Vets and collaborates with business and functional leaders to ensure benefits information and investment packages (as applicable) are complete and accurate before presenting to Assurant’s Management Committee for review and approval.
- Understands the connection of investment with our strategic goals and key business/technology capabilities; understands how corporate level initiatives can have an impact to the portfolio of third party spend reduction initiatives being managed within the portfolio of initiatives that make up the category plans.
- Facilitates the selection, approval, prioritization and sequencing of new enterprise initiatives into the overall portfolio.
- Evaluate and assess risks as part of the lifecycle analysis.
- Ensure engagements and initiatives critical to attaining MCOM savings targets are properly resources and executed upon.
- Partner with BU and Functional Finance VPs to create initiative financials, and to review and approve Business Cases, Cost Benefit Analysis (CBAs) and Value Realization (VR) for applicable savings initiatives.
- Partner with FP&A VPs to ensure savings are realized and removed from the budgets of the impacted cost center owners.
- Accountable for attainment of categoryshare of $100M savings target that has been communicated to the Board of Directors and the investor community.
- Coach and Mentor other team members understand the art of opportunity identification and problem solving
- Leverages relationship with L2 and L3 leaders to make supplier and/or service delivery model changes to increase the likelihood of successful attainment of financial goals.
- Works with L2 and L3 Leaders to establish annual portfolio goals and objectives so that financial commitment can be quantified and annual operating plan can be reduced.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- 6years relevant experience in shared services and outsourcing advisory or operational consulting
- Financial acumen with 3 or more years of experience in roles involving creating complex business case for outsourcing services (client or provider)
- Experienceworking with senior executives (including C level leaders) and proven ability to develop effective communications, analysis, content and presentation materials
- Solid experience in Change Management, Strategic Spend Analysis, Portfolio Diagnostic, Process Improvement and be a Self-Starter with an Entrepreneurial mindset
- Be resilient; challenging the status quo and driving execution of the initiatives within the Portfolio Roadmap (does what is required to achieve success)
- Good understanding of the procurement life cycle and service delivery model life cycles leveraged by consulting organizations to drive operational efficiencies
- Understanding of P&C Insurance value chain
- Excellent PowerPoint and Excel skills
- Proven track record in complex negotiations utilizing influencing skills in discussions with C-suite personnel from supplier organizations
- Must have business experience and strong acumen in complex deal structuring
- Experience leading large, complex sourcing projects
- Proven ability to build effective cross-functional relationships
- Deep knowledge of the contracting process along with T’s & C’s relevant to unique assigned categories of suppliers
- Advanced problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Excellent interpersonal, communication & influencing skills
- Demonstrated ability to function in a team environment and a highly matrixed environment.