Director, Operations Strategy and Analytics
Sallie Mae is a company created with great purpose. We make the dream of higher education a reality. We do it by being a resource for families who want to save, plan, and pay for college. Our vision, to be a trusted financial partner, inspires us to explore new ways to serve our customers every day. No matter what position you hold at Sallie Mae, you'll have a role in moving us toward that vision.
Over the last 40 years, Sallie Mae has helped more than 34 million Americans pay for college. The same passion we have for helping customers is applied to helping our employees achieve professional and personal growth. With a wide range of opportunities available, we invite you to join our growing team and help students make their dreams of higher education a reality.
The Director Operations Strategy and Analytics is a position of visibility as he/she is the central point for servicing strategy and analytics. Attention to detail (data accuracy) combined with the ability to present to senior audiences requires a highly disciplined and poised individual. Management depends on the Director Operations Strategy and Analytics for daily, weekly and monthly updates. They must be able to communicate complex data in a simplified format for strategic discussions.
The position manages the analytics team that will perform statistical modeling and analytics that will drive the business in its decision-making activities. They must have the ability to work across multiple product lines and businesses as the position manages strategies for all of Customer Operations.
The position is a motivated self-starter with a passion for digging into data and communicating credit trends to Senior Management for use in strategic planning. He/she will conduct in-depth analysis, present to Management and produce ad-hoc analysis tied to Management inquiries regarding servicing and customer experience impacts.
The position is responsible for complete development and monitoring of analytics, models, and strategies related to the Servicing, Sales, and Customer Experience departments. He/she will communicate key business insights to various business units across the organization utilizing both executive summaries and comprehensive reports. He/she must possess leadership skills and be able to work autonomously in a dynamic and changing work environment.
The Director Operations Strategy and Analytics must also show strong leadership qualities while managing a team of statistical modelers.
Strategy Development and Validation- 50%
- Create and perpetuate analytics and validations to monitor performance of strategies
- Based on outcome of validations, create recommendations to enhance, expand or contractstrategic initiatives
- Develop automatic generation of standard updates covering strategy performance metrics
- Liaison with operations for strategy implementation and post-implementation feedback
- Assess impact of strategic changes
Servicing / Customer Metric Analytics- 20%
- Provide comprehensive reporting
- Analyze performance by combination of variables and metrics
- From a sophisticated statistical standpoint, understand the true drivers of the servicing / sales business
Team management- 20%
- Manage team of multiple analysts to drive projects through to completion
- Focus on continuing education and growth
Ad Hoc Analysis- 10%
- Respond to requests for data and analytics needed by senior management team
- Develop presentations and analysis for the support of operational changes, board of director updates and external groups
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Finance, Economics, Sciences, or related field and/or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 7+ years working in a financial services environment with 5+ years focus on the development of analytics
- Minimum of 7+ years SAS/SQL experience with the demonstrated ability to successfully handle assignments involving complex quantitative analysis and present findings and recommendations to all levels of management
- Demonstrated ability to conduct presentations in a well-organized, concise manner focusing on required key elements to all audience levels
- Proficient with Microsoft applications and all applicable business areas systems
- Proven ability to successfully hand multiple priorities in a fast-paced, time-sensitive environment
- Experience with R or an equivalent is preferred
- Prior experienceworking with very large datasets using Big Data tools and platforms is a plus
- Former experience in loan servicing field strongly desired
- Ability to manage internal and external teams strongly desired