The Director of Operations is responsible for overall site management and serves as the Site Coordinator. This person will align, direct and manage manufacturing andsupport departments within the site to ensure and maintain product capacity and quality requirements, meet manufacturingschedules, achieve process improvements and cost objectives, and attain and sustain optimal employee performance with the objective of creating a world class operations environment. As part of the Operations Management Team, the position contributes to the overall strategic direction of the Smiths Medical Operations and execution of strategic objectives. Leads and integrates the site management team objectives in accordance with the Company’s strategic plans and objectives. Coordinates and manages all facility specific projects and changes.
Duties and Responsibilites
Provide Site Leadership:
- Champion Continuous Improvement and Lean activity.
- Develop and implement organizational structure to meet site operations objectives
- Coordinate the establishment of site objectives, track and publish results.
- Address and resolve conflicts which may occur between various site functions
- Keep offsite management informed of the performance of local groups, the site, site emergencies and any other site-based activity that may have a greater effect on Smiths Medical and/or Smiths Group
- Organize and lead regular site management leadership team
- Develop and deliver against site budget
- Ensure provision of infrastructure resources to manage and maintain a safe and secure working environment
- Develop and coordinate the implementation of schemes for site improvements when needed
- Coordinate various site functions to address common issues as well as maintain and improve conditions
- Ensure attainment of global operations metrics and established operating quality, safety, and performance goals
- Establish teams and prioritize resources to track, monitor, and maintain required metrics to ensure performance and foster a culture of continuous improvement
- Partner withsupport departments including Human Resources, RA/QA, EHS, and Finance to ensure compliance with Group policy and procedural requirements and dissemination of information to the various groups on site, as needed
- Understand and implement applicable Smiths Medical and Smiths Group EHS requirements that are applicable to the site operation.
- Host Quality Management System (QMS), Environmental Management System (EMS) and external Regulatory Audits in collaboration with the designated Site QMS/EMS Management Representative. Ensure that the Site QMS is kept up to date and in line with current business needs and Site activities, organization and division of responsibilities within and across the Sites.
- Chair Site-level Quality System Management Reviews and ensure that appropriate management oversight processes take place and are effective in achieving their intended purpose, with escalation of problems and delays that are not resolved within reasonable or agreed time periods.
- Host visitors to the site and provide an overview of the site when needed
- Coordinate the establishment of site environmental objectives, track and publish results.
Planning and Decision Making:
- Direction is given at a high strategic level to support the company’s objectives. Incumbent is given latitude on how to accomplish goals and objectives; however, compliance must be maintained to all company policies, legal practices, Regulatory requirements and Quality System standards.
- Responsible for direct and indirect management of site population
- Demonstrated ability to initiate improvements in manufacturing processes
This position is required to assure compliance of Company operations to all applicable laws, regulations and standards, good business practices and company documented procedures (including knowledge of all standards, government occupational health and environmental regulations and statutes related to the site).
Engage others, promote, and participate in Environmental, Health, and Safety initiatives, focusing on continuous improvement.
At Smiths Medical, we are passionate about improving and saving the lives of patients through high quality, innovative medical devices and services. We are a leading global manufacturer of specialty medical devices that provides innovative and lifesaving solutions for the world’s healthcare markets.
Specializing in Infusion Therapy, Vascular Access, Vital Care, and Specialty Products & Services, our products are found in hospital, emergency, home and specialty care environments and are used during critical and intensive care, surgery, post-operative care and for supporting managing chronic illness.