Provide leadership and management direction to operations at the Munising Mill to ensure achievement of all mill and applicable Technical Products objectives and to conform to established policies, procedures, guidelines, budgets and/or specifications and applicable local, state, and federal codes and laws. Work with other leaders in Technical Products to influence decisions to positively affect overall optimization of Technical Products operations.
Technical Products is a specialty paper business having a wide and unique range of Performance Materials, equipment and process requirements and technologies. The incumbent must stay abreast of new equipment/operating technology, business direction and business strategies to assure consistency of effort and objectives between the mill and business team.
- Exercise personal leadership to provide an environment that puts a priority on providing a safe and healthy workplace for employees and conforms to applicable local, state, and federal codes and laws governing loss control.
- Lead the development of effective safety programs at the Munising mill and eliminate non-value added safety activity.
- Facilitate cross facility communication on safety.
- Sponsor and create a safety culture at the Munising mill that is high in personal accountability and engagement at all levels of the organization.
- Continuously improve YOY safety performance as measured by OSHA reportable incidents.
- Support mill wide LCMS safety efforts to reduce accidents/incidents:
- Lead the mill Management Leadership and Commitment team in the development, implementation, and, sustainment of the element.
- Actively participate in at least two well planned group loss control meetings with all employees in area of responsibility each year during which loss control issues are a significant portion of the items discussed.
- Actively participate on the mill Joint Health and Safety Committee.
- Conduct safety one-on-one’s (personally or delegate) to annually document recognition of individual employee compliance with work-related rules.
- Promote incident reporting of all types (near miss, first aid, property damage, etc) in areas of responsibility.
- Lead incident investigations in areas of responsibility. Complete investigation within required time period.
- Conduct planned inspections for assigned zone or guarding assessments as assigned.
- Be aware of planned inspection results in area of responsibility
- Complete assigned corrective actions from activities such as Incident Investigations and Planned Inspections in a timely manner.
- Ensure all safety rules and procedures are followed by EE’s in area of responsibility. Correct unacceptable behavior through progressive discipline.
Achieve long-term manufacturing advantage for the Technical Products Business
- Maintain an effective Quality management process that will ensure conformance to all customer requirements as measured by customer reported defects.
- Develop and implement cost improvement plans and programs that ensure continuous YOY real cost reduction, measured in efficiency metrics such as Controllable COM.
- Work together with other functional teams in the Technical Products business to sponsor initiatives to improve customer service.
- Support changes to products, product development, and supply chain effectiveness and efficiency. Actively engage in the process and propose improvements that reduce cost add value.
- Develop and maintain initiatives to ensure long term reliability of the Plant, Property and Equipment.
Manage capital spending to sustain operations, support strategic initiatives and reduce costs while meeting financial expectations
- Develop a pipeline of cost reduction capital projects to ensure clear prioritization of initiatives.
- Work with marketing to develop a pipeline of growth capital projects.
- Facilitate evaluation of capital project feasibility and value with a priority on projects that reduce cost.
- Minimize sustaining capital projects without compromising facility reliability, effectiveness and appearance.
- Drive non-value added cost out of capital project proposals.
- Continuously reduce the amount of working capital needed to support operations, as measured by continuous improvement in efficiency.
Direct site activities to achieve corporate and business expectations
- Ensure compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal codes and laws.
- Maintain high levels of housekeeping and sanitation.
- Ensure Corporate Financial controls are established and followed.
- Lead efforts to move towards a culture of high achievement and support culture.
- Establish and maintain an optimum mill organization to ensure that the Munising mill is adequately staffed with qualified, trained and motivated people to meet current and future requirements.
- Honestly assess staff, identify high potential candidates and work with them to develop a plan for their continual development, as well as plan to manage lower performing employees. Ensure the development of all employees to the maximum of their potential.
- Develop succession plans to ensure bench strength.
- Maintain a positive labor relations climate.
- Positively and responsibly represent Neenah Paper, Inc. in the local community.
- Bachelor’s degree in Paper Science, Chemical Engineering, or Business
- 10+ years’ experience in leading a manufacturing environment
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
- Proven ability to efficiently and accurately process a high volume of detailed workload
- Excellent computer skills (including Excel and Word)
- Proficient at building teams and developing talent
- Previous paper industry, saturating, and coating experience a distinct plus