Job ID 2018-11170
Summary of Position with General Responsibilities:
Develops strategies and leads Continuous Improvement and Operational Excellence deployment for the Business. The focus will be to lead, roll-out, and implement business wide programs that driving continuous improvement in Safety, Quality, Deliver, Cost in the sites using multiple methodologies (Kaizen & Lean methodologies; Six Sigma, Value Stream Mapping, Process Optimization). Promotes a continuous ongoing learning environment to ensure training and development of all Operation departments resources in the principles, techniques and methodologies of Continuous Improvement.
Essential job Functions:
- Determines the optimal roll-out approach for the deployment at each site. Establishes both short and long- term (6 months - 3 years) strategies and implementation plans that will allow leveraging the program and Continuous improvement culture for sustained and long term benefit. Also ensures that Best Practices from the BD network are adopted and leveraged.
- Collaborates with the Business and Plant leadership, to ensure programs/projects deliver on expectations. Identify gaps and develops plans to mitigate any potential risks. Ensures alignment with corporate & business expectations on continuous improvement targets.
- Working with site cost to win leaders and plant controllers, tracks and validates all improvements and dollar savings (P&L impact, cost avoidance) attributed to the projects under the continuous improvement program. This includes incorporating the projects into plant budgets, and maintaining/building a funnel of opportunities for the next 12-36 months.
- Trains and sustains the workforce on continuous improvement methodologies, including champion training materials, train project teams on the use of Lean and other tools such as Process Optimization, Value Stream Mapping, facilitates project teams and mentor new facilitators/trainers.
- Works with external consultants as needed for specialized training of key plant personnel and then facilitates broader training by leveraging the initially trained personnel as “trainers.”
- Facilitates the cross-site reviews of the overall program as well as key projects, which consists of plant cost to win leaders, Value Stream Managers, plant steering team and business finance representatives.
- Develops meeting agendas, coaches project teams to prepare them for toll-gate reviews, establishes roles and responsibilities for site Continuous Improvement leaders and Value Stream Managers and ensures smooth progress of pipeline of project teams through the continuous improvement process.
Leadership and Communication:
- Fosters a sense of urgency and champions radical change that pushes for continual improvement with a focus on improving efficiency, quality and driving down costs.
- Develops and implements communication plan to foster an environment and culture where continuous improvement thrives.
- Facilitates sharing of knowledge and best practices across departments within sites and across sites and other businesses.
- Works on abstract problems across multiple product platforms. Identifies and evaluates issues for major functional areas through assessment of tangible and intangible variables.
- Interacts internally (within plant) and externally with executive level management (leadership, BD’s Global Manufacturing and CI team)
- Uses advanced skills to contribute to development of company objectives and principles and to achieve goals in creative and effective ways.
- Acts independently to determine methods and procedures on new or special assignments. Assembles and directs cross platform / cross site project team(s), including information compilation and information flow.
- Exercises advanced technical competence in continuous improvement tools and demonstrates understanding of the underlying principles; besides demonstrating a data & process mindset, verifies improvements and provides theoretical training (either directly or with BD’s Corporate resources) along with practical/pragmatic examples of its use in various functions.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with BD policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities may include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Other duties as assigned.
10-15 years of relevant experience.
Strong business acumen.
Prior experience in a large distributed workforce with a matrixes environment.
Facilitation & Change management leadership skills/experience.
Excellent planning, organization, analysis, and problem solving skills.
Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Influences and motivates teams.
Proven track record of delivering tangible results.