Director of Warehouse Operations and Fullfillment
11 - 15 years experience •
The Director of Warehouse Operations & Fulfillment is a strategic leader in support of business goals & growth by driving operational efficiencies and best practices in warehouse and fulfillment operations. As a director of warehouse operations & fulfillment, responsibilities include providing strategic and operational leadership for the various physical distribution sites. The current site set-up includes three warehouses spread geographically across the country (mix of in-sourced and 3PL operations). The sites set-up is expected to change with the growth of additional locations being added and/or insourcing of 3PL operations. Along-side day-to-day operations oversight, this operations position is responsible for driving the day-to-day delivery of productivity initiatives and business process improvement projects that support all functions within our warehouse environment while interacting with all levels of the organization across our client?s North America Operations.
- Leads staff of managers responsible for all day-to-day fulfillment center activities. Directs the daily work and safety of Inbound and Outbound Warehouse managers, supervisors and other associates. Performs the duties of associates supervised and other related duties as needed.
- Directs labor hours and consumable supplies within budget and work schedules including extra work days and shifts as needed. Analyzes, monitors and drives key performance and accuracy metrics against internal labor and delivery standards. Evaluates metrics and adjusts activities to meet or exceed performance expectations.
- Prepares budget, profit plans and capital requests as required. Directs the proper selection, purchase and utilization of Company assets in support of warehouse operations. Coordinates with other departments as necessary to ensure upgrades and repairs are completed efficiently and effectively.
- Develops business relationships to ensure communication and efficient operations with third-party vendors, including but not limited to third-party logistics providers and lumping of freight services. Maintains current certificate of insurance and hold harmless agreements for all contracted vendors as also ensures optimal operating methods implementation at third-party vendors.
- Contributes to the design and process flow of a warehouse operating model to optimize the customer experience while reducing the number of touch points warehouse associates have with the customer?s packages. Reviews the management of shipping and loading audits daily ensuring all required documentation is accurately completed (including HAACP, safety and catch weight documentation) and that material is handled and stored correctly with a minimum potential for loss or damage.
- Implements best practice warehouse management design to optimize space and maximize labor productivity. Suggests efficiency ideas, cost reduction measures and assists with the implementation of changes within inbound and outbound warehouse operations. Identifies problems, proposes solutions to other members of management and promotes cooperation with other departments.
- Influences organizational change, manage fulfillment and inventory accuracy improvement programs to support business growth. Performs management functions of staff selection, development, discipline, performance reviews and/or terminations.
- Promotes a respectful work environment and recruit, develop and retain a qualified, motivated and productive employee base -- Leads by example and willing to perform any function in the facility. Maintains associate relations through regular department or pre-shift meetings; maintains on-going interaction; keeps open communication channels with associates by answering questions and explaining policies and procedures; monitors associate morale and submits and responds to ideas to improve associate engagement and enablement.
- Interprets trains and consistently enforces Company policies and procedures. Coordinates efforts with Safety department to aid in training, conducting associate observations, up-datingpreferred work methods, conducting accident investigations to determine root causes and routine safety inspections. Makes recommendations for disciplinary action and/or behavior modification where required.
- Complies with local, state and federal regulatory agencies (i.e. OSHA, AIB, FDA, USDA, etc.)
- Achieve consensus on operating plans. Provide reports and requested information to management as needed.
- An active and strong contributor to the management team, he/she takes the lead in highlighting, developing and executing best in class solutions for our customers.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor?s Degree or equivalent experience.
- Must have ten plus years of experience in Warehousing, Logistics, Distribution, and Inventory Systems.
- In-depth understanding of receiving/ inventory management, fulfillment warehousing work group dynamics best practices and measurement systems (metrics).
- Experience in improving business processes via continuous process review & improvement techniques and incorporation of available systems technologies.
- Track record in building and managing strong teams
- Hands-on and fact-based manager that leads by example.
- Practical thinking and long-range planning. A proactive and quick thinker who exhibits common sense and the ability to problem solve in a high-intensity environment often requiring quick corrective action.
- Must have very strong and effective influencing skills and capable of gaining consensus.
- Must have the ability to develop individuals and establish positive team dynamics.
- Excellent computer skills including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; Access a plus.
- Experience in solar installation / renewable energy industry a plus.
- Experience with Oracle WM and Oracle ERP a plus.
- Hardworking, action-oriented, and results driven. Able to manage and drive multiple priorities at once.
- Willingness to cooperate and accept added responsibilities.
- Experience in process improvement initiatives
- Excellent leadership and communication skills, team player, experience in working in a highly cross-functional organization