Highly profitable commercial carrier has retained The Carlisle Group seeking to hire a talented Director of Underwriting. The role, reporting to the Senior Vice President, will own the underwriting function. This home office position will have significant impact, and the client is seeking a commercial lines leader who brings tremendous depth in underwriting, marketing, and a deep passion for mentoring team members.
The position has primary responsibility for underwriting policies and procedures as well as oversight of the renewal underwriting team and underwriting administrative support. The position assists the Senior Vice President with implementation and maintenance of underwriting technical guidelines and quality controls as well as all underwriting technology enhancements. The position also serves as referral support for the new business underwriting team.
- Establishes an effective renewal business operational framework and structure to achieve targeted outcomes.
- Uses technical underwriting expertise to establish and maintain underwriting guidelines, policies, and procedures to achieve targeted outcomes.
- Assists the Senior Vice President with ensuring delivery of superior underwriting service.
- Provides multi-jurisdictional renewal underwriting management and direction consistent with corporate underwriting objectives.
- Ensures that underwriting quality is evaluated as “Best Practice” relative to industry standards.
- Ensures timely processing of renewal business and compliance with multi-jurisdictional underwriting guidelines.
- Oversee quality control audits and prepare monthly, quarterly, and/or annual reports ensuring compliance with company underwriting procedures and guidelines.
- Provides strategic direction and leadership for underwriting support staff.
- Assists Underwriting and Marketing in achieving service requirements including meeting with agents and policyholders as necessary.
- Builds and maintains strong, professional working relationships with superiors, peers, subordinates, and other department managers and personnel.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Workers’ compensation insurance new business and renewal underwriting experience.
- Knowledge of insurance underwriting regulations and policies.
- Intermediate computer skills and knowledge of automated systems.
- Strong analytical skills with an attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion within parameters of instructions given, prescribed routines and standard accepted underwriting practices
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Strong people and operational management skills
Training and Experience/Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree, or a minimum of seven years of insurance industry experience and at least two years of insurance management experience.
- Associated classes or courses and/or industry license, or designation (CPCU, AU) preferred.