The primary focus of this position is business development of the transportation design services market for NV5 (WHPacific) with local agencies, and gain greater access into larger agency markets. This position is also responsible for managing the Portland transportation group and individual projects profitably.
The individual will have exceptional abilities to bring in new business, increase profits, and will lead the Portland transportation group to continue growth and elevated status. The Director will be responsible for developing business development strategies and leading the transportation group in the Portland office to implement those strategies. The Director will coordinate business development with other NV5 offices and business lines to ensure efficient implementation of long-term strategic initiatives.
- Markets our transportation business line.
- Leads marketing strategy for Portland office.
- Implements account penetration strategies, identifies market trends, key clients and markets and pursuit priorities.
- Finds and develops new business within existing clients/project base.
- Leads business development activities, with a strong focus on closing deals, and working with project staff to develop pursuit strategies.
- Coaches project managers in pursuit strategies.
- Oversees and directly participates in the preparation of marketing proposals, including proposals, scopes of work, and cost strategies.
- Coordinates and participates in cross-sales activities with other business lines.
- Administers and coordinates project contracts.
- Develops and manages project scope, budget, and schedule
- Modifies project monthly reports on scope, budget, and schedule and takes corrective actions to mitigate variances.
- Manages multiple projects or one larger project.
- Reviews and edits contracts in coordination with NV5's risk management team
- Follows company QA/QC processes.
- Understands the role and function of each team member.
- Assembles and manages project teams.
- Manages and is responsible for all aspects of the project over the life of the project (initiate, plan, execute, control, close).
- Manages project managers with a strong focus on profitability and client satisfaction.
- Manages administrative activities for the Transportation Group including performance evaluations and employee development.
- Develops an organization that fosters communication, teamwork and work share throughout NV5's transportation service offering business units.
- Provides leadership and supervision to the Transportation staff including monitoring and analyzing performance of all other Transportation employees in the local office.
- Creates a positive working environment including proactive communication and mentoring of professionals.
- Manages the operations, backlog, profitability and growth of the Transportation business unit for the local Portland office.
- Maintains appropriate staffing levels.
- Participates and coordinates Portland office operations and marketing activities with other NV5 offices.
- Participates in creating and upgrading operations and marketing strategies for the company as a whole.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must possess the following capabilities.
- Extensive Experience in Oregon for Transportation Planning, Design, Permitting, and Project Management.
- Knowledge of Regional transportation plans and issues.
- Knowledge of Oregon public funding processes and funding sources.
- Working knowledge of ODOT and Local design standards.
- Development of scope, schedule, and budgets.
- Demonstrated track-record of using project management programs to complete project on time and on budget.
- Proven track-record within local region of selling, doing, leading and managing projects.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Outstanding communication skills both written and oral.
- Able to think both strategically and tactically.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work on multiple and complex projects in diverse areas.
- Organized and efficient.
- Strong work ethic.
- Team player.
- High energy.
- Willingness to travel occasionally.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering.
- Minimum of ten years successful experience in providing professional or construction related services, or developing and selling new business.
- 10+ years project management experience
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Professional registration strongly preferred such as Oregon professional civil engineer (and other adjacent states, preferable)