Where Excellence Meets Purpose
The University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.
With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful purpose to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.
The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The University has been named on Forbes's Best Employers list for two consecutive years, and is the only university in Florida to receive this honor.
The Division of Development and Alumni Relations supports and promotes the mission, purpose, and priorities of the University of Miami through fundraising and engagement by building and nurturing strategic philanthropic relationships to improve and transform the lives of individuals and communities. We are committed to values central to the Division- Service, Gratitude, Trust, and Partnership- which guide our strategic thinking, decision-making, and day-to-day interaction with each other and our stakeholders.
Reporting to the Development Resources in the division of Development & Alumni Relations, and working closely with the division's leadership team and Human Resources, the Director will be responsible for leading professional learning and development programs for division staff and external stakeholders.
This role will be responsible for developing and coordinating all aspects of training, tools and services that drive individual, group and organizational performance in support of division's fundraising and programmatic objectives. In addition to assessing comprehensive employee and stakeholder development needs, this role will ensure training programs are consistent with standard methodologies, researching trends and needs to establish program directions accordingly, delivering the appropriate learning opportunities and measuring the effectiveness of professional development initiatives.
This role leads initiatives to develop a pipeline of new and diverse talent for the division through the development and deployment of mentorship and internship programs.
The incumbent must have a proven record of understanding business needs and taking the initiative to drive solutions in a value-added way, including defining strategies and programs focused on accelerating employee and organizational performance through the design and delivery of learning initiatives.
• Creates and manages working competency models to integrate with career path maps for all professional job tracks in the division. Ties competency models to professional development offerings.
• Works closely with leaders to identify professional development opportunities for staff and develops effective strategies and plans to address both skill building and career progression.
• Designs, develops and delivers education via a broad range of instructional methods including live class or webinar, web-based/online learning, blended learning, video based learning and curriculum packaging.
• Orchestrates the implementation of training programs in alignment with the strategies of the Executive Leadership Team.
• Works closely with subject matter experts to design course content.
• Partners with Human Resources Partner and Training and Organizational Development team to utilize the University's LMS as a learning platform and to leverage resources and programs available to the division.
• Creates a "Philanthropy Academy" for University stakeholders, including senior leaders, deans, physicians, chairs, and volunteers.
• Serves as a facilitator for division and stakeholder trainings.
• Develops and manages staff mentorship and internship programs to ensure retention and growth of all staff with an emphasis on growing and retaining a more diverse staff, to include: Oversees "buddy" program for new staff and the recruitment and mentoring of students hosted by DAR through the CASE Summer Internship Program. Coordinates programs to introduce undergraduate and graduate students to careers in the profession.
• Participates at professional conferences, including facilitating sessions, with the intent of building a network of talent and the University's reputation as a great place to work.
• Defines the scope of initiatives and training and development projects in conjunction with leadership.
• Establishes the objectives and key metrics upon which the assigned initiatives or projects will be evaluated at key milestones and upon completion.
• Determines the resources required to complete each project and prepares proposals to garner support from leadership.
• Establishes and documents comprehensive project plans and timelines, which identify and sequences the activities needed to successfully complete projects.
• Researches, selects and negotiates with third party vendors for work related to initiatives.
• Collaborates with leaders regularly in order to effectively communicate updates; prepares presentations and presents status reports for leadership.
• Identifies issues that may impact the success of an initiative or project, conducts analyses and presents recommendations for adjustments or recalibration of goals.
• Leads and directs team members in their accountability and achievement of assigned initiatives.
• Works cross-functionally and interfaces with all levels of the organization to implement the strategic initiatives.
• Bachelor's degree and a minimum of five years of effective and relevant work experience in organizational development, training and development or a related field.
• Experience in instructional design/curriculum development.
• Demonstrated experience in: program leadership, planning, instructional design and implementation; learning technologies and technology-assisted training tools; design and delivery of career and personal development tools and programs.
• Strong facilitation/professional presentation skills and experience.
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and relationships with leaders, subject matter experts and stakeholders.
• Experience working in a higher education environment preferred.
• Strong mastery of MS PowerPoint and other technologies.
• Knowledge of business and management principles with experience using project management and reporting tools, the ability to direct, manage, implement, and evaluate programs plus the skill to effectively plan, delegate, and/or supervise the work of others is essential.
• Equivalent combinations of education/experience may be considered.