The EL Director of Training and Development shall serve the Eagle Lake Camps and fulfill the responsibilities listed below in the spirit of The Navigators calling, values and purpose: To advance the Gospel of Jesus and His Kingdom into the nations through spiritual generations of laborers living and discipling among the lost.
This position plans, coordinates, and implements a sustainable strategy for the training and development of our full time and summer staff* according to best practices through various pathways and learning styles.
*Full time and summer staff roles to be developed include but are not limited to: department supervisors, participants in the Emerging Leaders Program, summer Program Directors and Coaches and summer counselors (during staff orientation).
- YOU HAVE IDEAS. You see past what we're currently doing in how we train and develop our staff to what we could be doing; and then you plan, develop, and implement those ideas to better equip all Eagle Lake staff to reach everyone we come intocontact with right where they're at.
- YOU ANSWER QUESTIONS WITH MORE QUESTIONS. Perhaps you've even heard of the AWE question. But you understand that it's important to walk like Jesus did, even when training and coaching - and since he answered all but 4 of 307 questions asked of Him with a question of His own, you're ready to ask questions, too.
- THEY CALL YOU 'COACH'. Because for you, it's not about barking orders and commanding troops; it's about understanding right where someone is at, where they could go, and then coming alongside them not only to inspire them to get there, but giving them a plan for how.
- YOU THINK GENERATIONALLY. You understand that successfully training and equipping people to lead others well means that soon, those people you trained and equipped are successfully developing others, as well.
- YOU'RE A STORYTELLER. You understand that it's not the best product people buy, but the ones they understand the fastest, and you're excited to cleanly and clearly tell our company's story in a variety of ways, including visually.
- YOU'RE READY TO REAP THE HARVEST. You are willing to invest your life and time by developing leaders year round, when possible.
- YOU DON'T CONFUSE HIGH ENERGY WITH ENTHUSIASM. Not that high energy is bad. But you recognize true, contagious enthusiasm moves past high energy and into passion and buy-in. And you use this distinction as you develop your content so others catch that passion, too.
- YOU GET RESULTS. You won't feed us that "It's about smelling the roses on the journey" line, because you know that the destination is important, and getting us there as quickly and efficiently as possible is your job, and so you make sure your content and design perform well, and you know how to measure that.
- YOU CATCH THAT WHOLE, "DON'T MUZZLE THE OX" REFERENCE. Because you've studied Biblical fundraising and feel ready to meet and coach others in personal/team funding requirements.
- YOU CAN DO ADULTING. You get to work on time. You start working on day one. You don't need anyone over your shoulder to parent you.
Emerging Leaders Program (ELP) Training, Coordinating, Development 45%
- Regularly travel to each program and track throughout the summer to meet summer staff and identify potential ELP candidates
- Recruit, interview, and hire candidates for ELP from our summer staff
- Identify each ELP-er's strengths and weaknesses in order to place them in the best role possible to serve the growth and development of both Eagle Lake and the ELP-er
- Develop and implement and direct a plan across Phase 1 and Phase 2 as well as Year 1 andYear 2 within each Phase to help each ELP-er grow individually and as a class in business experience, spiritual development, and leadership training through book discussions, guest speakers, workshops, personalized professional development, Bible studies, and more
- Oversee each ELP-er's Ministry Partner Development to ensure they meet 100% of personal funding goals, as well as understand the ministry of fundraising and building relationshipswith partners
Ongoing full time staff development and supervisor training 30%
- Develop, implement and direct a plan for year-round full time staff training to develop their professional skills and goals to increase Eagle Lake's overall productivity and ability to meet annual and quarterly objectives
- Develop, implement and direct a plan for supervisor trainings in order to equip every supervisor to fully train and develop those they're supervising through good questions, clear priorities and objectives, and strong accountability
PC and Summer Staff training and development 20%
- Analyze previous years' Orientation trainings, staff and parent feedback, incident reports, and more to understand where Eagle Lake trains its staff well and where there are gaps
- Develop, implement and direct a plan to train Eagle Lake staff exceptionally well in all areas for:
- PC Camp
- Orientation (all summer staff)
- Continued training throughout the summer for PCs and summer staff
- Work closely with program directors and track directors to build out the training and then to follow up to ensure the training is being implemented as needed
Additional Responsibilities 5%
- Continually research and learn best practices in training principals and, maintain and increase understanding of Eagle Lake's policies, procedures, core values, brand promises, and state requirements
- Participate in development events such as Navigator on-site events, Cultural Development and Diversity trainings or other non-Navigator developmental events as appropriate.
- Read spiritually and culturally developmental books and literature.
- Participate in the annual, organizational Plan and Progress Review (PPR) process.
- Submit expense report as needed due the 15th of each month.
- Demonstrates a sincere and mature walk with Jesus Christ
- Belief in and adherence to The Navigators statement of beliefs, Eagle Lake's mission, core values, and brand promises.
- 5 years' experience training and developing people who are in a variety of different roles
- Experience gauging employee engagement, particularly by creating and implementing surveys and then collecting, analyzing, reporting on, and acting on that data. Experience withSurveyGizmo a plus.
- Ability to find and help coordinate professional development opportunities for all staff, especially those in the Emerging Leaders Program, including but not limited to online courses, conferences, workshops, and local business people as guest speakers or mentors
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule as needed, especially during summer
- Demonstrates skills in fund-raising and willingness to raise personal and corporate finances.
- Must be self-motivated and possess the ability to work with little supervision
- Demonstrates ability to prioritize tasks and independently manage work flow of self and team based on appropriate needs and demands.
- Demonstrates ability to control, manage, and organize details
- Demonstrates ability to problem solve quickly and efficiently
- Excellent relational and communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills