Director of Technology
15+ years experience • Arts & Entertainment
A world leader in Entertainment in Manhattan is looking for a full time, permanent, Director of Technology: NEEDS EXPERTISE OF THE NETWORKING SIDE
Responsible for the high- level requirements, definition, design, integration, operation, and performance of the technologies related to the Firms Wi-Fi networks and systems. This role will actively manage the various architectural elements, operational implications, including long-term strategic issues related to outdoor, indoor, and special venue Wi-Fi networks. Additional obligations will be to identify emerging technologies, develop, select, and manage key relationships with vendors and partners.
- Industry leader: Wi-Fi is a major differentiator for the company as such keeping the Firms wireless at the forefront and as the entertainment industry is key priority and responsibility.
- Technology Innovation: Investigating, validating, and introducing new technologies and vendors into the organization.
- Standards & Requirements: Defining and improving on processes and procedures to plan and operate Wi-Fi technologies.
- Design and Validation: Applying and defining industry best practices to design and deploy unlicensed Wi-Fi and small cell networks. Establish QA processes to validate and measure results.
- Organizations preparedness: Collaborating with internal groups to achieve successful wireless delivery and avoid/mitigate negative outcomes.
- Deployment: Provide subject matter expertise to assist other groups and/or partners to transform a conceptual service to an operational working state.
- Performance: Define key performance indicators through vendor platforms, 3rd party testing, and independent field analysis. Use the indicators to optimize and improve configuration settings.
- Reporting: Define key reporting metrics to communicate deployment and network successes to the organization and executive management.
- In addition to these areas, this individual shall be able to coordinate with other operational groups to facilitate the knowledge transfer associated with new technologies that are incorporated into production.
- Communication skills and ability to establish relationships with other areas of the company and outside vendors.
- Principal and trusted resource with C level executives and sensitive assignments.
- Ability and flexibility to adapt to frequent changes in direction and project priorities.
- Qualified to manage large team, financials, and deliverables for several projects effectively.
- Ability to lead across functions. Embrace a hands-on approach when needed to attain success.
- Ability to set ambitious, yet achievable goals - effectively prioritizing them, clearly communicating them, and instilling the team with a deep sense of accountability for their attainment.
- Ability to project manage, meets deadlines, and perform under high stress while maintaining high productivity.
- Experience in a variety of Operational Support Environments, with an emphasis on high density ecosystems including large scale wireless networks in indoor and outdoor environments.
- Exposure to cellular-like radio planning techniques (e.g., link budget analysis, coverage/capacity planning) and traffic modeling
- Understanding of different radio technologies (e.g. FHSS, OFDM, DSSS, WiFi, WiMax, MVDDS, ATSC)
- Understanding of various wireless planning and measurement tools (e.g., Planet, Mapinfo, AirMagnet, Ekahau, Wireshark.)
- Understanding and experience with lab test equipment (e.g. Ixia/ Chariot, Smartbits, Iperf, Veriwave)
- Good working knowledge of various Wi-Fi vendor platforms (AP to backend) and pros/cons
- Excellent understanding of Networking Principles (TCP/IP, DHCP/NAT, PMIP, SNMP management and protocols).
- Experience in WLAN provisioning, management and operations.
- Experienced in the use of statistical analysis tools to aggregate and analyze performance results
- 15+ years’ experience in the Networking field, supporting and designing Local and Wide Area Wireless Networks.
- 10+ years of practical field engineering, aptitude to work as an onsite leader, putting to use the technical and operational expertise.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to converse and negotiate with clients/customers.
- Collaboration envoy to industry organizations such as CableLab’s, SCTE, NCTA, and FCC.
- Real world experience designing, deploying, and operating Wi-Fi in high density - large scale indoor venues
- Experienceworking with major Wi-Fi OEMs to optimizing live networks and manage roadmaps for future capabilities
- Experienceworking with wireless ecosystem vendors in proof of concept trials.
- Ability to identify issues or exposures and propose and execute solutions.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Degree in CS, EE, CE or equivalent. Certifications are a plus.
- Thorough understanding of laboratory metrology, metrics and integration
- Operational understanding of Broadband CMTS technologies, Optical and RFnetwork transmission operations experience
- Exposure and general understanding of various cellular technologies, industry trends, and spectrum topics Degree in CS, EE, CE or equivalent. Certifications are a plus.
- Real world experience designing, deploying, and operating high traffic - extensive outdoor Wi-Fi networks
- Lieutenant and advocate to the SVP Enterprise Technology for all wireless matters.
- Responsibility in the area of integration and interoperability current and/or future Wi-Fi networks.
- Collaborate with other operational groups including RFDN, NOC, Design, Construction and Field for the continued development of the Firm’s wireless strategy: including designing, deployment, monitoring, and optimization of Wi-Fi.
- Key contributor in the overall development of NetworkArchitecture Standards as it relates to Wi-Fi and wireless technologies for various project types.
- Administer Technology Lab that will support testing and research of new concepts, equipment, and designs. Establish and lead resources to configure, implement, maintain and manage development networks for next generation services.
- Discover, select and contract with third party consulting/testing facilities to validate services, designs, and equipment for multiple projects. Accountable for: device interoperability and feasibility tests, competitive device functional, operational and performance comparison and evaluation.
- Accountable for executing periodic quality analysis of Wi-Fi service delivery. Work with respective wireless team to compare statics and pre-emptively address scaling, capacity and performance issues. Find alternative methods to proactively evaluate the wireless network.
- Provide training and technology transfer sessions to appropriate departments in company. Assist in the development of training literature and up to the minute field notices.
- Recommend, source or develop hardware and software for monitoring and diagnostic tools to be use by other operational groups within the company.
- Lead contributor in the exploration of other wireless services (e.g. WISP, Satellite,P2P, P2MP, Licensed spectrum)
- Principal resource on C level requests and special wireless connected projects. Trusted to see project through to successful completion in extremely short timeframes.
- Candidate must be resolute and extremely resourceful.