Don’t just work. Work Happy.
A career in gaming? At Penn National Gaming we think you’ll enjoy an exciting industry, fast-paced days and nights, diverse, enthusiastic co-workers, unlimited growth and support from one of the leaders in the industry.
An individual could be successful if they possess the following:
Your daily responsibilities include
The Director of Technical Accounting will have responsibility for researching and concluding on technical accounting matters for Penn National Gaming, Inc. This individual will report to the Vice President of Accounting and Financial Reporting and will consult often with relevant stakeholders, including CAO and CFO, external and internal auditors, as well as to individuals working in other functional or commercial business areas, including but not limited to, Business Development and Legal. This position will also be responsible for updating, integrating and maintaining enterprise wide accounting policies. The Director of Technical Accounting is one of the key leaders in the Accounting organization and will act as the technical accounting and financial reporting resource to others within the organization.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Other duties may be assigned):
- Owner of various technical accounting matters including implementation of new accounting standards.
- Actively research new and existing accounting literature on GAAP and ensure that business units are in compliance with the accounting standards, including preparation of related memoranda ensuring appropriate accounting for actual and proposed transactions.
- Assist in reviewing certain complex transactions – including reading underlying agreements, performing technical research and preparing memos to support the conclusion reached.
- Assist in reviewing the work performed by, and managing the Company’s business relationship with, its external valuation specialists for all projects pertaining to acquisitions, divestitures and goodwill.
- Assist in the financial policy transition and accounting of newly acquired businesses, including reviewing merger agreements and assessing technical accounting requirements for purchase accounting.
- Consult with the Company’s properties/ shared service center property accounting group to identify and/or consult on technical accounting issues as they arise, including but not limited to the impact of recent and changing accounting standards.
- Oversee, coordinate and support other ad hoc projects as they arise.
- Assist with the preparation of summaries of key accounting issues for review by the Audit Committee and/or Board of Directors on a quarterly basis.
- Assist in the preparation, communication, management and oversight of the Company’s Accounting Policies.
- Continuously monitor, document and communicate the development of new accounting standards, interpretations, and emerging guidance and their impact to the Company.
- Ensure proper internal control documentation for technical accounting matters for annual SOX testing. Assist company in documentation and testing of certain key controls.
- Other responsibilities as determined on an as needed basis.
- Assess accounting and financial reporting effects of new business initiatives including identification and evaluation of potential accounting risks and issues.
To be successful in this position it will require the following skill set
To be successful in this position it will require the following skill set:
- Bachelor degree from an accredited college or university in accounting or similar
- 10+ years of progressively responsible accounting experience
- 8+ years with a Big 4 accounting firm or national accounting firm
- CPA certification
- Ability to work in fast paced environment on multiple assignments with tight deadlines, particularly at quarter ends
- Individual will need to enjoy working on new challenges
- Expert knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, SEC rules and regulations, and other technical accounting requirements, trends and best practices
Something to leave you with
Penn National Gaming is more than you may realize. We have properties throughout the United States and Canada and are embarking on an aggressive growth mode. Our departments and areas of opportunity are ideal for just about any skill set. And our company-wide commitment to making sure our guests smile as much as we do means you’ll enjoy a fun working environment.
Now that you have read about who we are, here is your opportunity to see what we're about!