The Director of Systems Engineering is responsible for the design, development, requirements management, and performance of the battery management system in different applications. Manage a team of people with specialized skills necessary to deliver the product and to work with strategic suppliers to develop key subsystems. Develop testing methodologies and procedures to verify the battery management system; Recommends, interprets, and implements the company product roadmap.
Other core responsibilities
- Determine Battery Management System design strategy to support multiple lithium ion cell chemistries.
- Build and manage a team of engineers needed to achieve system goals considering cost and timing
- Actively maintain and appropriately implement a system technology roadmap
- Develops test equipment and methods to ensure lithium-ion battery management systems conform to specifications. Provides technical support and assistance to other departments as necessary
- Develop design documentation including design capability, circuit analysis, interface resources for software, safety critical design, design to requirement traceability
- Conduct / support Risk Analyses, including Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), Failure in Time (FIT), Operator Misuse Analysis (OMA), and Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
- Knowledgeable in electrical safety and performance standards, such as UL1741, ISO26262, ISO61508 or IEC61850; familiarity with the National Electric Code
- Interface cross-functionally across engineering groups as well as business development and project management teams
- Performs value engineering to provide cost effective results while maintaining customer satisfaction
- System verification and certification in close cooperation with certifying organizations
- Planning and project management skills for multiple change efforts
- MSEE., PhD. EE or equivalent in Engineering discipline
- Familiarity with large format Lithium-based cells
- Familiar with CAN, Modbus, and Ethernet/IP communications protocols
- Strong understanding of design, development and qualification processes.
- Ability to identify and communicate clear project goals and project plans
- Designs to regulatory standards (CE, UL, IEC, ISO).
- Experience with hardware/software development Experience with HiL/MiL/SiL
- High level of mathematical and advanced analytical interpretation capabilities is a plus
- Hands-on experience on execution of battery verifications test from test setup to final data analysis and presentation
- Quality Assurance, Control Charting, and Six Sigma activities is desirable.
- Design for automotive standards related to durability, safety, and customer acceptance is a plus
- Matlab/Simulink experience is highly preferred
- Must have direct experience with lithium-ion batteries and Battery Management System.
- Approximately 5 years industry experience in development of battery management systems.
- 3-5 year experience as Director of Electrical Engineering