Leads team to build functional excellence in Systems Engineering in support of the Accuray products. Provides planning and execution of systems engineering with responsibility for overall system requirements and Systems-of-Systems architecture development, conformance to applicable medical, hardware and software safety and regulatory requirements, integration and testing of the hardware and software subsystems’ final designs, and on-going improvement and development of related department processes.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Mentors and develops System Engineers to enhance their professional growth, identifying stretch opportunities, providing feedback on individual strengths and developmental needs, and surfacing interests through one-on-one discussion.
- Coaches employees to develop their problem-solving, communication, and interpersonal skills to enhance the department effectiveness in an on-going manner.
- Builds capacity among Systems Engineering team by identifying skill gaps, making and executing plans to address them.
- Grows the Systems Engineering team through vision as well as functional management, including rewards.
- Coordinates the subsystem teams of Mechanical Engineers, Electrical Engineers, Reliability Engineers, Embedded Software Engineers, and Application Software Engineers.
- Responds to marketing and other cross-functional requirements to develop system level requirements and architecture designs.
- Oversees integration and system testing of highly sophisticated subsystems to ensure final design needs meet approved requirements prior to product verification and validation.
- Oversees the Systems-of-Systems architecture and design process, using own technical ability, experience, and industry knowledge to lead and motivate engineering teams.
- Participates with directors, managers, and group leads in the development of schedules to address product roadmap requirements, including task estimation, resulting in engineering execution plans clearly defining measurable engineering phases or milestones.
- Commits to and delivers on agreed schedules, determining resource allocation, deploying according to plan, surfacing issues, and proposing solutions in the event of resource changes.
- Detects project execution risks and takes timely preventative or corrective action.
- Identifies needs for process improvement and development in Systems Engineering and initiates necessary changes, ensuring their completion and/or revision.
- Contributes to development of product strategy, product and business plans, and marketing requirements.
- Takes part in review activities for all aspects of the product development process (e.g. requirements, design, and hazard reviews).
- Detects technology and design issues and takes timely corrective action, developing alternative approaches or diverting resources where necessary.
- Ensures products are developed using an open, extensible architecture.
- Participates actively in customer discussions, e.g. trade shows, to ensure customer-focused product design and engineering effort.
Quality and Regulatory Compliance
- Ensures documentation and processes conform to regulatory requirements.
- Ensures safety and quality considerations and requirements are pro-actively addressed and implemented in product design.
- Addresses and manages in a timely fashion safety and quality issues raised by customers or staff.
- Assures that quality processes are followed and that a high quality product is produced.
- Reviews, recommends, and implements changes in procedures consistent with company policies and objectives.
- Instills quality-focused approach in Systems Engineering team.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a technical discipline, or equivalent work experience in STEM field discipline (i.e., scientific, technical or engineering).
- Demonstrated managerial experience directing a team of engineers and growing their capabilities.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral, including presentation skills, to executives as well as technical audiences.
- At least 5 years of experiencesupporting complex equipment, including subsystem integration, in a medical device, semiconductor equipment, or any other complex system that consists of hardware/software.
- Solid analytical, project management and problem-solving skills required.