At KIPP Colorado Schools, all students will learn and achieve.
KIPP Colorado Schools is part of the national KIPP network of tuition-free, open enrollment college-preparatory public charter schools dedicated to preparing students from underserved communities for success in college and life.
Who we are: KIPP Colorado Schools is a network of six high-performing, college-preparatory public charter schools. We educate students in grades 9-12 at KIPP Denver Collegiate High School and KIPP Northeast Denver Leadership Academy, grades 5-8 at KIPP Sunshine Peak Academy and KIPP Northeast Denver Middle School, grades ECE-fourth at KIPP Northeast Elementary and students in ECE-3, ECE-4, kindergarten and 1st grade at KIPP Sunshine Peak Elementary.
What we do: We set clearly defined and measurable high expectations for academic achievement and conduct in order to create and reinforce a culture of achievement and support. We know that every student is different and we personalize learning based on a student's needs, skills, and interests.
How we do it: Great schools require great teachers and school leaders. We empower our educators to lead school teams, and we invest in training to help them grow as professionals. Our schools provide a safe, structured, and nurturing environment with minimal distractions and more time for both academics and extra-curriculars, so our students love school and maximize their learning.
Why it matters: Great education transforms lives. At KIPP Colorado Schools, teachers, students, and families are all united around the same goal: college and a choice-filled life. We believe that an excellent college-preparatory education will set students up for success in whatever life path they choose. Through collective hard work and commitment, KIPP students complete college at a rate that is above the national average for all students and four times higher than that of students from similar economic backgrounds.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Student Identity Development & Culturally Responsive Teaching Create systems, instruction, and a culture where students learn about their identity and heritage, and take pride in themselves and background
- Work with students and staff to ensure identity formation is the foundation of leadership development
- Create and provide professional development to teachers to ensure culturally responsive teaching is happening
- Student Leadership DevelopmentCreate a vision and four-year game plan for what student leadership should look like, sound like, and feel like at our school
- Provide professional development, resources, and best practices to all staff to ensure we have a culture of student leadership in all aspects of our school
- Work with student leaders to create systems and structures that promote student voice and leadership opportunities in our school
- Work with staff and students to ensure our students are gaining the professional skills and knowledge to be successful at any college and in any career
- Teach leadership development curriculum to students
- Coordinate and progress monitor non-academic activities such as service learning hours and enrichment credit programming and requirements, which includes forming external partnerships and running after-school clubs
- In collaboration with KIPP Through College and Career (KTCC), build partnerships with external entities that will provide growth and leadership opportunities for our students
- Work with students, families, and teachers to help students successfully apply to external opportunities
- Excellent Student CultureWork with student leaders and staff to ensure a school culture where we are recognizing the awesome work our students are doing
- Assist with student behavior infractions when they occur, though this is NOT a traditional "Dean of Culture" role, and lead the school in setting up and maintaining system for implementing effective restorative justice in our school
- Work with the Assistant Principal of Operations to plan and execute student opportunities, including: field trips, student conferences, student leadership opportunities, and summer programs for students (in collaboration with KTCC staff)
- In collaboration with the school social worker, progress monitor students' progress toward promotional criteria and work with school leadership and teachers to intervene when necessary
- Set goals and progress monitor teacher effectiveness with upholding consistent culture and systems
- Advisory CoordinationCreate a vision and game plan for advisory instruction
- Work with grade level leads to create an advisory curriculum and resources
- Work with teachers and school leaders to develop a four-year scope and sequence for advisory curriculum
- OtherSeek and be open to any new opportunities or responsibilities that will promote the development of our students outside of the classroom
- Additional duties as assigned
- Skills and QualificationsBachelors degree required
- Spanish bilingual preferred
- At least 4 years of teaching experience and a strong record of helping underserved students achieve academic success
- Past experience leading adults in a school environment
- Outstanding organizational skills and high attention to detail; outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Ability to manage the ambiguity and multiple priorities inherent in an entrepreneurial environment
- Proactive problem solver who demonstrates initiative and teamwork
- Strong work ethic coupled with an enthusiastic and passionate approach to one's work
- Multi-faceted, multi-skilled, resourceful and willing to do whatever it takes to help the school reach a level of academic excellence
- High level of detail orientation and sound excellent organizational skills
- Strong communication, feedback and facilitation skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Articulate, professional demeanor with strong self-confidence and initiative.
- Entrepreneurial mindset, with the creativity and versatility to work productively in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, high-energy environment with a proven ability to meet and complete multiple deadlines and tasks with meticulous attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop productive working relationships with stakeholders across functional and organizational lines
- Passionate commitment to KIPP Colorado mission and to high standards of excellence