STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
The Director of Student and Family Engagement (SFE) provides senior-level vision, leadership, and administrative direction to the College's initiatives related to onboarding, welcoming, and retaining matriculated students. The Director ensures delivery of services and programs for students and their family members that foster student success through a comprehensive first-yearexperience program. The Director works closely with the Dean of Retention, Dean of Enrollment, and the Director of Advising to help effectively lead the College's retention goals. As such, the Director works collaboratively across the college to ensure the practice of shared governance and transparency, while helping to move the College towards comprehensive, innovative solutions to empower and meet the evolving needs of the Bristol community.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to the Vice President for Student Services and Enrollment Management.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Oversees department and area staff as assigned by the Vice President for Student Services and Enrollment Management.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide overall vision, administration, and execution of the College's First Year Experience (FYE). Co-chair the FYE Committee and lead these efforts with Academic Affairs leadership and involvement from faculty, staff, and students throughout the college.
- Establish and implement short- and long-range departmental goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures for SFE while monitoring and evaluating operational effectiveness and affecting changes required for continuous improvement.
- Develop and unify the College's new student orientation programs. Co-chair the Orientation Committee with an Academic Affairs leader to create onboarding programs, services, and events that meet changing student needs.
- Plan and implement the College's signature "Bristol Experience" programs and events, focused on community engagement with students and families celebrating Bristol's college-going culture.
- Lead the College's wrap-around service efforts that address various student insecurities, including but not limited to hunger, homelessness, etc., in partnership with external community agencies.
- Infuse and actualize an assessment strategy, in partnership with Institutional Research and Academic Affairs, to measure co-curricular student learning, effectiveness, and satisfaction to improve retention and persistence.
- Provide timely reports and analysis to College leadership, including the President's Leadership Team, Enrollment Management, Academic Affairs, and Institutional Research.
- Build, administer, and evaluate the Student and Family Engagement budget. Work closely with Student Services and Enrollment Management leadership to develop annual budget proposals.
- Supervise, lead, and develop all SFE department staff, including one Assistant Director (non-unit) and various part-time staff. Conduct regular performance evaluations to ensure continuous improvement. Work closely with Human Resources to create talent development plans and implement appropriate performance improvement plans.
- Promote a positive and inclusive work environment that supports the professional growth of staff while fostering a commitment to excellence.
- Work collaboratively with college leadership to recommend and implement tactics that ensure achievement of prescribed retention goals, including increases to Fall-to-Fall student retention rate.
- Implement technological resources that scale, amplify, and measure department program and service efforts, in partnership with Information Technology and Marketing & Communications.
- Serve on various leadership councils for Student Services and Enrollment Management.
- Actively engage with professional organizations (e.g. NASPA, ACPA, FYE, NODA) to stay current on professional development, higher education trends, and best practices.
- Lead and serve on various College committees, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by the Vice President of Student Services and Enrollment Management. Assist in coordinating the daily operations of the Cooperative Education and Internship Program; working collaboratively to strategize, plan, and implement departmental goals that are consistent with the College's strategic plan and meet the needs of students and employers.
Master's degree in higher education or related field and experience in a higher education environment that demonstrates:
- Progressive leadership and administrative experience, with at least four years as an Assistant or Associate Director in a Student Affairs or Enrollment Management area, such as Advising, Orientation, Student Activities, First-Year Programs, and/or Admissions.
- Progressive supervision and management experience, with at least four years successfully supervising professional staff members.
- Thorough knowledge of student development, event planning, and budget management.
- Successful history of collaboration with others across divisions to build effective relationships, particularly with the Admissions, Advising, Financial Aid, Academic Affairs, and Information Technology areas.
- Ability to strategically manage and grow departmental human and capital resources.
- Commitment to the community college mission and serving the needs of first-generation and traditionally underserved populations.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, writing, and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to the principles of shared governance and transparency.
- A commitment to embracing diversity and serving the needs of a diverse population, including the ability to work effectively with a diverse faculty, staff, and student body.
- External relations experience with community organizations and agencies, as well as with K12 schools.
- Demonstrated technology experience with Ellucian Banner, EMS, Degree Works, and other related software packages.
- Demonstrated expertise related to assessment and continuous improvement of enrollment, retention, and/or student services operations and programs.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and use predictive modeling and data-analytics to enhance retention initiatives.
- Comprehensive, multi-campus community college experience.
- Ability to speak a language in addition to English.
POSITION STATUS: This is a full-time, non-unit position with benefits, some nights and weekends required.
SALARY: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
ANTICIPATED STARTING DATE: March 2019