The campaign’s first tactic was calling on major advertisers of Facebook to pause their ad spend for the month of July in order to advance the conversation about the societal impact of vast amount of hate on the platform. We ended up with 1,100 companies signing on, including some of the world’s most well-known companies like Disney, Honda, Unilever, Patagonia, Starbucks, Best Buy, Pepsi, and CVS. You can see here a small portion of the press the campaign has received. We are now moving on to additional tactics, including working with advertisers more closely as well as engaging other stakeholders.
In addition, the position will lead future efforts to mobilize companies, supporters, and other stakeholders to help fight hate and extremism.
- Partner with advertisers and advertising organizations to reduce the spread of hate and disinformation on social media
- Be the day-to-day lead on the Stop Hate for Profit campaign and execute (or assist with execution) on additional phases
- In partnership with other parts of ADL, design and execute additional initiatives to use companies, supporters and other stakeholders to help fight hate and extremism
- Ability to identify opportunities and to design and implement initiatives
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, analytical and communications skills
- Flexibility to consider, explore and decide which tools are most effective to achieve change
- Strong strategy, initiative design and project management skills
- Strong work ethic and ability to drive initiatives to achieve results
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment, coordinating multiple workstreams
- 7-10 years of experience in strategy, campaign, advocacy, digital advertising, corporate or market reform campaigns, corporate social responsibility, and/or initiative execution.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Business Administration, Marketing or related field required.
Preferred Skills, Education and Experience:
- Knowledge of cyberhate, digital advertising and/or corporate social responsibility
- Relevant contacts across fields and areas of expertise helpful to Stop Hate for Profit and other initiatives
- Track record of leading successful campaigns engaging nongovernmental stakeholders to effect social change