The Team and Impact: S&P Global is seeking a State and Local Tax Director with experience in US state and local income taxation of corporations. The State and Local Tax Director will lead a team with primary responsibility for all aspects of S&P Global’ s state and local tax compliance, audit and provision for both direct and indirect tax. In addition, this position will provide guidance to all S&P business units on direct and indirect tax matters. The State and Local Tax Director will be a key member of the team in proactively monitoring state tax legislation changes and analyzing the impact to the Company; specifically with respect to the state impacts of Federal Tax Reform.
Tax Compliance and Audit
- Responsible for the accurate and timely preparation of all State and Local Income and Franchise Tax Returns for S&P Global and Subsidiaries, including tax estimates, elections, related statements, supporting documentation and related analysis and support.
- Provide assistance with the preparation of the federal income tax return.
- Oversight of Sales and Use Tax and other non-income state and local taxes (gross receipt tax, and property taxes)
- Manage, negotiate and resolve state controversies which include preparing information for auditors, managing hearings and appeals meetings and preparing protests
- Manage the preparation and review of the state income tax provision, effective tax rate, deferred taxes and income taxes payable in accordance with ASC 740, including state uncertain tax positions computations and documentation
- Maintain state payable roll-forward and cash tax schedules
- Responsible for the validation of material state deferred tax balances annually
- Maintain sales and use tax reserves in accordance with FAS 5
Tax Planning and Research
- Monitor state tax legislation changes and analyze impact to the Company and ensure nexus compliance for direct and indirect taxes.
- Analysis of Federal Tax Reform conformity for states within the current and future corporate structure.
- Work directly with Government Affairs on lobbying efforts with respect to the state impacts of Federal Tax Reform
- Manage models of state tax impacts of Federal Tax Reform and methodologies for implementation of compliance and provision.
- Research and draft technical memorandum regarding income and franchise taxes
- Respond and interact with business units on all state and local direct and indirect tax matters.
- Managing the third party advisers who are assisting us in meeting our obligations.
- Researching and documenting positions to support conclusions on various issues as required.
- Increasing the tax technical competency of tax associates involved in state tax matters.
- Plan for and develop overall state tax compliance calendar and prioritize effectively to meet deadlines in a timely manner
- Drive process improvement with respect to state tax compliance and provision and implement technology tools and automation of processes
- Supervise, mentor and develop staff
- Position responsible for the filing of approximately 140 state and local income/franchise tax returns (Unitary/combined/standalone), 90 annual reports, 25 property tax returns.
- Oversight of over 2,100 Sales and Use Tax filings
- Position responsible for coordinating tax payments of approximately $70m annually
- Challenge existing practices & test new ideas.
- Position works with all levels within the corporation and viewed as the technical resource on all state and local tax matters.
- Produce consistent, high quality work
- Communicate and consult with senior management on state and local tax- related issues.
- 8 years plus of professional tax experience with at least 4+ years of experience in accounting for income taxes under US GAAP. recommended
- Experience with a "Big Four" accounting firm preferred
- Ability to utilize technology systems and databases adopted by the Company
- Deep experience with State income tax compliance
- Working knowledge of accounting and federal income taxation
- The candidate must demonstrate the ability to use tax knowledge and previous experience to add value and assist in meeting the department's objectives while working in a fast-paced organization
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to interpret and document technical information in a manner which is understandable by a non-state tax person
- Ability to multi-task and complete assignments within required time constraints and deadlines.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office, specifically Excel and OneSource (e.g. Pivot tables, VLOOKUP’s)
- Works well independently and in a team environment
- BA/BS in Accounting and/or Master’s degree in Taxation
- CPA Preferred
At S&P Global, we don’t give you intelligence—we give you essential intelligence. The essential intelligence you need to make decisions with conviction. We’re the world’s foremost provider of ratings, benchmarks and analytics in the global capital and commodity markets. Our divisions include:
- S&P Global Ratings, which provides credit ratings, research and insights essential to driving growth and transparency.
- S&P Global Market Intelligence, which provides insights into companies, markets and data so that business and financial decisions can be made with conviction.
- S&P Dow Jones Indices, the world’s largest resource for iconic and innovative indices, which helps investors pinpoint global opportunities.
- S&P Global Platts, which equips customers to identify and seize opportunities in energy and commodities, stimulating business growth and market transparency.