The Director of Specialty Technicians & Assistants is dedicated to the quality care of all VCA patients through the advancement in specialty patient care skills of technicians and assistants. This is achieved by keeping VCA’s mission, medical initiatives and standards in the forefront at all times, and empowering our technicians and assistants to do the same. The Director will also be an ambassador for VCA within the hospital, at national conventions, recruiting events, local colleges and within the veterinary technician community. This will help not only to exemplify what it means to be a VCA Technician & Assistant but also demonstrate the career potential and range of job opportunities we provide.
The overall responsibilities of the position include oversight and development of patient care skills and career paths of the VCA Veterinary Technician Specialists, Credentialed Veterinary Technicians, Veterinary Assistants and Technician Assistants who care for specialty or emergency patients. In collaboration with the Director of Technician & Assistant Development, they will mentor and guide technician training personnel as they execute training initiatives, help with content development and implement national programs while focusing on our hospitals. It will demonstrate leadership and provide mentoring for our Technician & Assistant Supervisors within the hospital to strengthen their position and develop their career path as well. The Director will also collaborate and strategize on vital recruiting materials and promotional opportunities on a national and local level for veterinary technician associations and organizations.
The goal of this position will be to support the technical teams in VCA hospitals through career path development and mentoring. A direct emphasis will be required on the implementation and continued rollout of the VCA Technician & Assistant Development Program for Specialty, ER and Hybrid Hospitals. This overall focus will not only elevate patient care standards but will lead to increased technician engagement and retention. It will demonstrate leadership and provide mentoring for our teams within our VCA hospitals as well as speak to the industry on why VCA is the employer of choice for Technicians, Assistants and Veterinary Technician Specialists.
This position can be based anywhere within the United States and can work remotely.
- Consult on and create protocols, initiatives and training resources that focus on the care and safety for patients receiving specialty or emergency care.
- Provide in-hospital training and education resources on patient care and safety initiatives.
- Work through the Technician and Assistant Career Development Team to assess each hospital’s needs for tech/assistant resources, training and guidelines with a focus on Specialty, Hybrid, and ER hospitals, and Emergency/Triage training for general practices.
- Consult with hospitals to improve patient workflow and better utilize and leverage their technicians.
- Work with regional leadership teams to understand group, regional and individual hospital training needs.
- Work with Medical Operations and Knowledge & Learning to implement educational initiatives.
- Direct and assist in development opportunities for hands on training at hospitals on a variety of topics including:
- Patient care
- Controlled drug policy implementation
- Equipment utilization and maintenance
- Safety policy, procedures and resources
- Develop Technician Supervisor leadership training.
- Consult and collaborate with technical teams on issues/daily struggles (schedules, balance).
- Provide guidance and consultation on technician and assistant onboarding.
- Create shadowing opportunities at specialty hospitals or for special interests.
- Assist with the organization of national VCA technician CE events.
- Lecture and speak at national VCA technician CE events and national conventions outside of VCA.
OVERSIGHT AND GUIDANCE
- Provide oversight, leadership and guidance for Technician & Assistant Career Development Evaluators as well as for Specialty/ER/Hybrid hospitals during:
- Content development of training materials and skills labs
- Execution of training initiatives
- Implementation of national programs
- Consultations with Knowledge & Learning on joint initiatives
- Provide leadership and guidance for Technician & Assistant Supervisors within the hospital including mentoring on day-to-day operations and leadership training and development.
- Foster enthusiasm at the grass roots level for learning and career growth in technical staff.
- Encourage involvement in outside animal related causes to enhance job satisfaction.
- Engage employees through recognition and motivation.
- Provide tech supervisors mentorship and resources to succeed and grow in their roles.
- Provide a clear career path and encourage progression.
- Mentorship and leadership training for technicians wishing to pursue a management path.
- Follow-up with regional, local or national teams on actionable items as identified on behalf of the technical staff.
- Connect technicians within the company to help them feel part of something bigger and realize their voice at VCA.
- Promote the role of the Credentialed Veterinary Technician and Veterinary Technician Specialist as medical professionals in the hospital.
- Assist with recruiting efforts at career fairs, national conferences, and colleges.
- Show external techs a career path within VCA.
- Advocate for and exemplify involvement in the community/industry to improve our reputation.
- Participate in local, state, and national technician groups and meetings.
- Attend job fairs to promote Veterinary Technology as a career and VCA as the ideal place to develop and grow– this is a career not a job.
- Provide input on recruiting items or job boards that have proven successful.
EXTERNSHIPS AND INTERNSHIPS
- Work with AVMA accredited technician and assistant programs to promote externship sites
- Strengthen relationships with local AVMA accredited Veterinary Technology programs
- Create collaborative training resources in conjunction with the Technician & Assistant Career Development Team for:
- Technical staff in both Emergency and Specialty areas
- Checklists for training and career path
- Resources and networking opportunities for obtaining VTS
- VCA initiatives and programs
- Recruiting resources
- Online program resources
- Course development
- Wet lab organization
- Partner sponsored training opportunities
- Hospital Visit checklists for consistency in topics covered and regional goals
- Follow the Knowledge & Learning ADDIE model for content development
- Develop educational resources, organize CE events and opportunities, develop recruiting initiatives and promote current opportunities for development of veterinary assistants and technicians.
- High School Diploma;
- Graduate of AVMA accredited program or equivalent
- Fluent in English (Reading, Writing and Oral); and,
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Windows platform, and email
- 5 years minimum as Credentialed Veterinary Technician
- 3 years minimum working experience in a Specialty/ER/Hybrid Hospital Environment
- Active license in state of residence
- Participation in national or state technician associations
- Previous experience in supervisor or related position
- Veterinary Technician Specialist
- Experience with adult education
- Experience with public speaking and presenting
- Preference to current VCA staff who have shown their desire to work toward company goals
- Familiarity with WOOFWare a plus