This is a cross-functional team leader inside the Integrated Design & Solutions (IDS) team providing client 3PL solutions design for the North American market (all NFI lines of business) in parallel with business development, engineering, operations excellence, and the business operations team. Senior Manager, Solutions Design will be responsible for leading/facilitating the NFI solutions management process for incoming RFPs/RFQs they are assigned and leading cross-functional teams to design best-in-class integrated supply chain solutions incorporating distribution management, real estate, dedicated fleet transportation, non-asset based TM, brokerage services, intermodal, and NFI global and international forwarding services. This position will report to the VP, Solutions Design & Engineering.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for 1-3 direct reports inside the solutions management organization supporting NFI N.America. Leading people leadership, strategy, service management, and solutions & design services.
- Support the NFI new business development process thru leading and facilitating the NFI solutions management process and cycles in collaboration with BD/sales opportunity owners. Provide cross-functional program management of all assigned RFI/RFPs, facilitation of internal SM cycle and compliance associated with RFP response, client-facing consultancy support upfront in the sales cycle and during RFP engagement (pre-sales engagement), ensure stakeholder engagement during RFP cycle aligned to company requirements, and execute deal selection and qualification analysis.
- Lead cross-functional RFP project teams to provide an integrated customer solution/pricing during RFP cycle windows. SM owns the solution RFP and serves as the single program manager and contact point for sales on solution development. Role will work with other NFI team resources and SMEs for needed deal pricing inputs and requirements: such as engineering resource modeling, design routing/fleet sizing for dedicated fleet, design warehouse layout/staffing/and process rates of flow, and pricing and finance analysis models for executive review. Additionally, creativity (innovation) is a critical element of the design output of this team. Create unique competitive advantage in our solutions based on our design standards, best practices, and technologies/services.
- Position will own the quality/accuracy and timeliness of RFP and pricing response delivery to customers in collaboration with sales for an assigned RFP or client opportunity. This role will lead the cross-functional solution project teams for RFP responses (including operations, sales, engineering, finance, and HR). Critical element of the SM team responsibility will be leverage and use of approved NFI design and engineering standards, pre-defined product methods and solutions, and leverage of approved content and marketing standards.
- Key leader in product development strategies ahead of RFP cycle to sell into a client growth strategy or vertical market using all NFI’s integrated services capabilities and assets. Collaborate/lead with engineering, operations, and business development the proactive development and branding of NFI’s products and services portfolio in alignment to company growth strategy. Become SME experts inside key market verticals (ie. CPG, retail, Ecommerce, Food)
- Support the NFI innovation program. Lead and project manage innovation early adoption programs with key vendors, test pilots, and business case analysis for nex-gen services and technology inside the warehouse and supply chain. Integrate innovation into future solutions and design opportunities to create strategic advantage.
- Support sales with client-facing consultancy and pre-sales engagement ahead of RFPs. Attend site visits, customer workshops, and lead and facilitate client engagement to develop solution design and architecture. Support the lifecycle of the RFP with business development (all stages). Lead client presentations during the RFP cycle.
- Partner with engineering and operational excellence teams to drive existing operations CIP and yield improvement projects: VSM/Kaizen events, and other strategic client engagements.
- Role will serve as IDS community of practice mentor to develop team resources and support their career/skill set development and progression (be the champion to develop engineers, analysts, and solutions managers and support their career advancement).
- Lead R&D, and industry analysis. Be a leader engaging the industry in conferences, boards, and university forums.
- Master’s degree is required (MBA and/or MSIE, Engineering Masters is preferred)
- BS degree (Engineering, Logistics, Supply Chain, or Business) is required. Industrial Engineering degreepreferred
- 15+ years of professional work experience including minimum of 7 years direct 3PL experience
- Minimum of 5 years in industrial engineering and/or logistics engineering design capacity
- Minimum 5 years in like/similar Solutions Manager role inside a 3PL organization (RFP proposal support)
- Lean Six Sigma greenbelt or higher credentials. Experienced Operational excellence leader.
- 5 years of project management experience inside logistics and/or supply chain. 2 years of direct report staff leadership
- Direct leadership and experience in 3PL services implementation
- Expert business / financial acumen; experience with 3PL commercials and contract standards
- Warehousing design expert and dedicated fleet design expert. Pricing experience in 3PL.
- Expertise with non-asset based transportation management (SP&E, carrier mgmt, engineering, FBAP, procurement)
- Demonstrated experience in leading client-facing consultancy and engagement; expertise in team workshop facilitation
- Advanced experience with IT Supply Chain solutions: WMS, TMS, ERP, B2B Integration/APIs, IT infrastructure
- Experience leading comprehensive network design study and models working with tools such as i2, Llamasoft, or CAST.
- Ecommerce vertical experience; warehouse automation & mechanization
- Vertical market SME inside CPG, retail, Fashion/Apparel, Automotive
- Travel: 50% (based on needs of the business and project-client engagement)
- Top 25 Global 3PL professional experiencepreferred / Fortune 500 company experience
- APICS CPIM and/or CSCP. Manufacturing experience and credentials.
- PMP certification and/or direct 3PL operations implementation experience
- Business management consulting experience and/or 3PL sales/business development experience
- Experience with IT development: SQL developer, API/EDI development, Adv MS Access developer
- Experience with global air FF, ocean NVO, intermodal, domestic brokerage, FTZ, cross-border, and int’l supply chain
- Experience with warehousing, network, or transportation simulation tools and technologies
- Contract Manufacturing experience / EMS provider Hi-Tech
This is a Director level position. Demonstrated leadership, communication, and strategic skills are required. Experience successfully leading virtual teams inside global organizations and/or Fortune 500 firms preferred. This is a client-facing position responsible for leading cross-functional teams in support of new business growth. Expertise in facilitating workshops, team projects, and client consulting engagements is critical. Position location is open and flexible to remote home office. Preferred: Cherry Hill, NJ / Dallas,TX / Ontario, CA / Chicago, IL.