StackPath is a platform of secure Internet services built at the cloud's edge. StackPath services enable developers to build protection and performance into any cloud-based solution—from apps, to games, web sites, and beyond—without needing cloud security and delivery expertise of their own. More than 800,000 customers already use StackPath services, ranging from early-stage enterprises to Fortune 100 organizations. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, StackPath has offices across the U.S. and around the world.
About the Role
The Director of Software Engineering will be a technology leader, evangelist, and advocate within the StackPath organization. They must demonstrate a proven ability to work with other leaders across multiple functional areas, including Product Management, Software Engineering, and Business Operations, setting the best balance between technology strategies and organizational priorities. The Director will use their expertise to help design innovative solutions to create significant value while owning the end-to-end platform from concept to delivery and post-launch support. This position will be responsible for implementing our strategy as we deliver world class solutions to our clients. Developing our team members is a top priority for this role, and the Director would be responsible for the career development and growth of the Software Engineering team. This position requires an engaging, innovative, and collaborative leadership approach. The ideal candidate comes from a software engineering, cloud first, and agile background and has experience building and implementing full life cycle projects.
This role will report to our Senior Vice President, Software Development.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Process improvement, team structure, staffing and role development
- Leadership of the Software Engineering teams, with an emphasis on hiring and nurturing great talent
- Work closely and help coordinate cross-functional application dependencies around technology or resources with the other Managers, Directors and Architects.
- Immerse the team in SCRUM methodologies and toolsets, adhere to the Agile process, including monitoring burn downs and team velocity for issues and course correct where appropriate to help the teams succeed
- Lead and manage the Software Development and IT teams to deliver software, infrastructure and architecture that meets the needs of users
- Ensure delivery consistent with Agile processes across the team
- Work effectively with Product Managers and Product Owners to ensure delivery against agreed priorities
- Implement mechanisms to monitor, manage and provide progress on all software development activities
- Accountable for the on time and to quality delivery of software development projects
- Responsible for the maintenance and development of internal and external IT support systems; Create, implement and maintain a continuous improvement plan for software development and IT infrastructure
- Working closely with the Product Managers with the aim of meeting current and future user needs
Desired Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science or related degree (BSCS, BCIS, or MIS)/equivalent experience
- Advanced degree a plus
- 5+ Years Software Delivery Experience
- 8+ Years managing and building high performing engineering teams, including a track record of managing projects to success
- Significant experience with consumer facing UI development (Angular, React, etc.)
- 2+ years of cloud experience
- 2+ years of implementing and using application performance monitoring toolsets
- Experience with Kubernetes, Jenkins and Jira
- Understanding of the full development life cycle, SCRUM experience preferred
- Fantastic motivator and leader of teams with a demonstrated track record of mentoring and developing staff members
- Experience in developing and shipping high-quality applications
- In-depth understanding of building Globally distributed applications.
- Solid understanding of networking protocols, TCP/IP, Sockets
- Significant experience developing micro-services, service bus architectures, and RESTful API’s