At M&T Tech, we’re a team of makers, doers, and builders, working to create the most advanced technology solutions in banking. We’re not your stereotypical suit and tie bankers: we’re an innovative team of leading tech experts, pushing boundaries, and taking risks. We’re building an agile team of the most skilled and creative workers to solve complex problems, architect solutions, write high-performance software, and chart our new path, all to make the lives of our customers, and the communities that we serve, better. Join us and be part of something new as we build tomorrow’s bank, today.
The Enterprise Architecture, Data, and Engineering Group (EADE) is responsible with enabling our technology partners across the Bank with a suite of best-in-class Platforms, Tools, and Products; allowing them to deliver rich customer solutions while decreasing their time to market. In addition, the Group creates significant value by providing an advisory and governance function on these capabilities, so technology delivery teams can focus on the “What” not the “How”.
As a Senior Leader in EADE, this individual will be in a high-impact role, leading a large group of engineers. The candidate must be a hands-on leader with deep technical skills (see below) while also being an exceptional strategic thinker. The role calls for someone who has the ingenuity and passion to create new and/or build upon existing Enterprise engineering solutions while continuing to deliver on existing commitments.
We’re looking for someone who has the mindset of a startup (the opportunity to build solutions that don’t exist at the Bank), but also has the executive presence and experience to partner with, and understand, stakeholder requirements at a deep level (in tech and the business). This individual will share our philosophy of “reading what others have written, you’re limited to what they know”, and therefore can trailblaze solutions that the industry will want to mimic.
The ideal candidate is equal parts Statesman, Engineer, and Visionary.
A Day in the Life:
- On any given day, will WANT to roll up their sleeves and get into the technical weeds as the need arises
- Will Whiteboard solutions at the macro AND granular level and debate technical solutions with senior engineers
- Has the ability to foresee potential problems and directionally guide the team even when presented with only high-level symptoms
- This role will require significant interaction with senior business and technology leadership, therefor, will have to harness their ability and reputation to promote an idea and gain consensus. Effective communications commensurate with the audience is expected
- Being able to take a vision statement or high-level problem and deconstruct into a detailed plan for the department to execute against is essential
- Will require examining existing designs and propose modern, meaningful, and cost-effective solutions
- Will be asked to manage against a multi-million dollar budget and create a resourcing strategy (including hiring tens of additional resources) that is adaptive and supportive of our transformation effort
- Responsible for all financial, compliance, human resources, risk operations with the departments
- Monitor the technology direction of the industry and vendor applications specific to areas and businesses supported
- Manage supporting research and initiation of change to the status quo, when necessary to ensure implementation of appropriate technologies
- Manage strategic relationships with vendors and professional organizations to remain current on industry trends and best practices for supported systems and businesses
- Oversee systems development activities of assigned teams, including assignment of staff to various projects and ensure their timely completion within budget
- Oversee the implementation of technology consistent with Division standards and long-range plans, seeking opportunities to leverage these across other teams as applicable
- Ensure activities managed adhere to all Department and Technology standards and procedures, including all documentation requirements to protect Bank interests and serve as a reference source
- Exercise usual authority of a manager concerning staffing, performance appraisals, promotions, salary recommendations, performance management and terminations
- Understand and adhere to the Company’s risk and regulatory standards, policies and controls in accordance with the Company’s Risk Appetite. Design, implement, maintain and enhance internal controls to mitigate risk on an ongoing basis. Identify risk-related issues needing escalation to management
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the M&T Bank brand
- Maintain M&T internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators as applicable
- Complete other related duties as assigned
Education and Experience Required:
- Minimum of an Associate degree and 13 years’ technology management or large program leadership experience, or in lieu of a degree, a combined minimum of 15 years’ higher education and/or work experience
- Has significant experience in a wide spectrum of technologies with an emphasis on server-side engineering solutions such as low-latency APIs, efficient memory management, persistence, messaging, containerization, etc.
- Highly experienced in designing low latency, scalable, fault tolerant platforms/applications with 24/x7 availability
- Expert level foundation in algorithms, data structures and core computer science concepts – able to teach/mentor others in their learning
- Expert in one or more modern programming languages such as Java, Python, Ruby, Angular, Scala, NodeJS, etc.
- Proficiency with cloud technologies (IaaS, PaaS, serverless technology, NoSQL databases), micro-service architecture, CI/CD, DevOps, etc.
- Proficiency with traditional RDBMS, NoSQL, and Big Data technologies such as Postgres, Oracle, Redis, Cassandra, Hadoop, etc.
- Experience working with various open source frameworks such as from Apache Foundation
- Practical experience in software development working in an Agile environment
- At least 5 years of people management experience
Education and Experience Preferred:
- BS / MS degree (in a STEM major) and 15+ years of IT experience
M&T Bank is a Top 20 US bank holding company and one of the best performing and financial stable regional banks in the country, we offer our technology employees a wide range of performance-based career development opportunities. We have a strong commitment to our customers and the communities we serve, and we continue to grow with a focus on the future. So, when looking to advance your career, look to M&T. Grow with us.