Silver Spring, MD
Not Specified years
Posted 58 days ago
The Director of Social Services II plans, develops, organizes, evaluates and directs the overall operation of the Social Services Department in accordance with the National Association of Social Workers (NASW) Code of Ethics and maintaining compliance with federal, state, and local guidelines and regulations, Genesis policies and procedures, and standards of care for specialty practice (Reference: Social Services Job Description Addendum Specialty Practice).
The Director of Social Services II is a member of the interdisciplinary and management team of the nursing center and directly supervises two or more members of the Social Services staff in the facility. The Director of Social Services II is responsible for fostering a climate, policies, and routines that enable residents to maximize their individuality, independence, and dignity. This climate shall provide patients/residents with the highest practical level of physical, mental, and psychosocial well-being and quality of life.
If and when the Director of Social Services II performs responsibilities across multiple centers, there is a reporting relationship to the Area Social Services Specialist.
1. Develops and maintains a good working rapport with intra-department personnel and meets with administration, medical, and nursing staffs, and other related departments for collaboration and planning.
1. Plans, organizes, implements, evaluates, and directs a comprehensive Social Services program. Accountable for Social Services practice, measuring outcomes to interventions, and departmental productivity.
2. Recruits, interviews, selects, supervises, and evaluates all Social Services staff.
3. Coordinates and implements Social Services Orientation for new center staff.
4. Assists in determining departmental staffing and budgetary needs.
5. Communicates to the Administrator equipment and supply needs of the Social Services department.
6. Reviews departmental policies and procedures as part of the facility's interdisciplinary team to assure compliance with federal and state regulations.
7. Participates in Quality Improvement interdisciplinary meetings.
8. Ensures all government, organizational, and state specific requirements for Social Services documentation are met by all staff members. Monitors departmental Point Click Care compliance.
9. Provides oral and written reports/recommendations to the Administrator concerning the operation of the Social Services department.
10. Prepares Social Services department for annual state survey.
11. Serves as active contributor in designated center meetings (Morning Meeting, Utilization Management, Customer at Risk, Care Planning, etc.).
1. Works with Social Services staff, interdisciplinary team, and administration to promote and protect resident rights and the psychosocial well being of all
patients/residents. Prevents and addresses patient/resident abuse as mandated by law and professional licensure.
2. Identifies and monitors community changes and opportunities such as legislation, regulations, and programs that impact nursing home patients/residents.
3. Works with patients/residents, families, and significant others to provide support and information for taking a more proactive role in self advocacy to improve the quality of life/care for individual patients/residents.
4. Responds to issues identified by patients/residents and families to determine satisfaction with services.
Specific Educational/Vocational Requirements 1. Bachelor's degree in Social Work or human services degree required. 2. Must possess any certifications/licensures as required by State of employment to practice in long term care. 3. Additional certification such as Geriatric Case Management, Hospice & Palliative Care, Gerontology, Clinical Social Work, Health Care, Nephrology, Mental Health, and/or Substance Abuse preferred. 4. 3-5 years of supervised Social Service experience in a health care setting working directly with individuals preferred. 5. Management/administrative/supervisory experience preferred. 6. This position requires that the employee is able to read, write, speak and understand the spoken English language to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our patients and visitors at the work site when responding to their medical and physical needs. 7. Must provide verification of TST (tuberculin skin test) as required by state law and in accordance with Company policy. TSTs will be administered at the work site if required.