ABOUT THE POSITION
Director of Signal Design | NYC
VHB’s growing Transit & Rail Practice is looking for a Director of Signal Design to join our team in New York City. This position requires the candidate to live in or relocate to the New York City Metro Area.
The Director of Signal Design will lead business development efforts—including client management and maintenance, identifying new opportunities, and leading project pursuit efforts. This role will also oversee and direct the technical efforts of the signal design team, including leading the signal design aspects of complex transit and railroad projects. Typical projects involve commuter rail, light rail transit, heavy (metro) rail, intercity passenger rail, and freight rail.
- Take an active role in business development through the identification of opportunities and the leadership of project pursuits.
- Manage and grow key client relationships.
- Coordinate on teaming decisions with the NYC Managing Director and the National and NYC Director of Transit & Rail.
- Take an active role in the development and mentoring of the Signal Design group staff.
- Prepare and maintain resource plans.
- Manage a multidisciplinary team of designers.
- Manage multiple concurrent projects of various topics and complexity.
- Develop, manage and maintain project schedules and budgets.
- Lead development of project deliverables and provide quality control.
- Manage financial progress on projects.
- Prepare and deliver technical reports, analyses, and presentations.
- Represent VHB at regional conferences, seminars and industry events.
- Manage and prepare technical and cost proposals.
Skills & Abilities
- Understanding of North American based signaling systems:
- Train Control Systems for Light Rail Transit, Heavy Rail Transit, Freight Rail, Commuter Rail, and Intercity Rail and High-speed rail operations.
- Detailed knowledge of vital and non-vital signal electrical circuits.
- Knowledge and understanding of AREMA and IEEE recommendations.
- Wayside and CAB based Signaling systems including, relay and microprocessor based interlockings, switch machines, track circuits, negative return and cross bonding, and/or axle counters circuits.
- Ability to design in accordance with the FRA principles defined in the CFR 49 parts 234-236 relating to vital and non-vital software and to read, understand, and develop and modify electrical circuits.
- Ability to design and modify software systems for Programmable Logic Controllers Vital and Non-Vital Microprocessor based systems.
- Experience with designing “at grade” railroad crossing systems for both constant and fixed warning systems including traffic preemption functions.
- Designing, sizing and developing specifications for Power Supplies and Distribution.
- Perform design calculations, prepare material and equipment specifications, cost estimates, Force Account work scopes, Microsoft project schedules and provide preliminary sketches and notes for drawings.
- Knowledge of office systems involving of computer-based control systems and dispatcher workstations.
- Knowledge of rail-based signal construction installation techniques and standards for heavy and light rail installations
- Minimum of 15 years’ experience with CFR 49 Parts 234-236, AREMA Signal Manual and Recommendations and IEEE and how they pertain to train control systems.
- Working knowledge of all applications within the Microsoft Office software group.
- Ability to create or revise electronic drawings using AutoCAD and/or MicroStation CAD programs.
- Support the installation, testing and commissioning of rail based signaling, Communications Based Train Control (CBTC) and Positive Train Control (PTC) projects
- Participate in client meetings and project signaling design reviews.
- Participate in factory and construction field reviews, site inspections and commissioning procedures.
- Possess excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Capable of supervising, mentoring and motivating staff members. Ability to travel locally and nationally when required.
- A positive attitude towards teamwork, communication and problem-solving.
In addition, the following general skills and abilities are required:
- Excellent technical written and verbal communication skills and analytical skills.
- Excellent public speaking skills and business development skills.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Strong capability in use of computer applications including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Capability in the use of project management applications such as MS Project or Primavera.
- Ability to travel locally and nationally when required.
- Motivated to lead and mentor others.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or in a related field such as Computer Systems Engineering etc
- 15 years’ experience and increasing levels of responsibilities in railroad and/or transit signaling design.
- Experience with signaling standards and practices as it relates to all stages of signaling projects from design to installation and commissioning.
- Proven ability to work in a team environment.
- Progressive experience in the oversight, management and mentoring of staff.
- PE in NY and NJ preferred but not required (or ability to obtain PE in those states).
Our best estimate of the salary range for this position located in New York City is $160,000-230,000. The final compensation will be based on a variety of factors such as individual qualifications, education and experience.
We are VHB! We’re an inspired and innovative team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments. Our work helps improve mobility, enhance communities, and contribute to economic vitality. We do this while balancing development and infrastructure needs with stewardship of our environment.
Our people make us great! VHB provides a differentiating employee experience, which includes:
- Diverse and inclusive culture of collaboration and innovation
- Opportunity to work on complex, transformational projects
- Community and social responsibility as sustainable stewards
- Focus on learning, development, and career growth
- Best-in-class benefits, including flexible, hybrid workplace
We are consistently rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing, and we hope you’ll join us!
VHB is a proud Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. Since our founding, we have intentionally fostered a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion—supported by deep-rooted core values, one of which is diversity. All individuals receive consideration for employment based on their qualifications without discrimination for race/ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, pregnancy, marital status, or any other basis protected by law.