Director of Shopping Center Construction & Development
About our Construction & Development Team:
For the past 40 years, Dierbergs Markets, Inc. has been involved in the development, ownership and operation of retail shopping centers anchored by our grocery stores. Dierbergs was the sole developer and continues to own and operate 8retail shopping centers in excess of 1,000,000 sf of leasable space. Together with our equity partner, Dierbergs has developed and continues to own and operate an additional 2,500,000 sf of retail space. Dierbergs is unique in that we develop shopping centers for our own anchor occupancy with the goal of long-term ownership. In addition, Dierbergs has a proven track record of developing space for a variety of national credit tenants including Target, TJX Companies, Dick’s Sporting Goods, Best Buy, Michaels Crafts and Panera Bread.
The Director of Shopping Center Construction & Development will collaborate with the Sr. Director of Development & Construction to coordinate and supervise all aspects of new shopping center and building construction, grocery store construction/remodeling and tenant improvement construction. This individual will leverage his/her education, expertise and creativity to develop and evaluate site plans and site engineering methodology, building design and construction techniques and interior store design and planning. This person will be responsible for developing construction timelines and cost-efficient strategies, executing capital budgets, monitoring billing accuracy, ensuring competitive pricing and maintaining compliance with contract terms. The Director will manage a team of outside consultants including architects, engineers, contractors and subcontractors to complete projects on time and within budget.
- Supervises and oversees the activities and assignments of shopping center development to include; site engineering, building design, construction techniques, contract administration and purchasing.
- Oversees all construction, remodeling and tenant improvement activities in connection with the ownership and operation of 1,000,000 square feet of retail space and 25 grocery store locations.
- Works closely with the Vice President of Real Estate, Sr. Director of Development & Construction, Senior Management and all internal counterparts regarding consultant partnerships, scope of work, coordination, facilitation, and completion of all projects.
- Manages architects, engineers and all required consultants necessary to obtain permits and approvals to carry out work requirements.
- Develops project budgets and detailed planning schedules; manages resources to ensure a cost effective, quality project is completed within scope and budget.
- Conducts regular, detailed project management meetings to ensure the project budgets are completely understood and the plans that are developed work within the framework of the budget.
- Procures qualified contractors for competitive bidding, reviews and qualify bids, awards the work to selected contractors.
- Supervises construction managers, general contractors and vendors, including the management of schedules and budgets; Manages punch-list resolution in conjunction with Store & Facility Development.
- Manages construction costs within budget and maintains accurate documentation of project cost records, ensures invoices are approved and submitted in a timely manner; Coordinates with Accounting Department to ensure proper classification of costs and assets for projects.
- Evaluates and determines appropriate construction methods and identify issues concerning safety and adherence to regulations.
- Engages, supervises, evaluates and provides consistent feedback to contractors and associates to ensure timely and quality performance of agreed upon job scope.
- Creates value engineering, systems and processes.
- Coordinates with Real Estate Department to ensure that leaselanguage and terms of delivery are met; Reviews tenant/landlord drawings to ensure they are in accordance with lease, existing conditions and budget.
- BS or BA required; preferably in construction management or a related field.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of experience in construction management; multi –unit retail shopping center environment preferred.
- Previous work or project experience in shopping center planning, engineering, or construction, and proficiency in CAD a plus.
- Full understanding of budgeting, cash flows and financial analysis for real estate development projects.
- Ability to read, understand and interpret drawings (architectural/landscape and mechanical/electrical).
- Experience working with cities and municipalities.
- Requires excellent negotiation, communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills with the ability to drive results.
- Must demonstrate superior organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple projects/tasks simultaneously, while still being detail oriented.
- Must work well in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment.
- Must possess effective management skills with the ability to mentor and resolve conflict.
- Requires work in both a typical office environment and on-site at project locations.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office products, particularly Outlook and Excel.