Job Description Summary
The Director of Sales (DOS) develops and directs the total sales and marketing strategy of the hotel to ensure that occupancy, average daily rate and marketshare goals are achieved. This includes creating specific revenue, sales and marketing strategies and tactical plans. Hotel performance results are monitored and adjusted to current market conditions to stay nimble and react advantageously to competitors. The DOS will work directly with the General Manager and the Regional leadership team to identify specific extended stay strategies and tactics to drive revenue according to the hotel’s seasonal demand. The DOSwill work with the Global Sales Team, and maywork with Sonesta’s Marketing, and Revenue Management department, at the direction of the GM and RDS, to leverage national brand strategies at the local level.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Deliver on the promise of Sonesta Service in all interactions with guests and clients. Manage according to the Sonesta G.U.E.S.T. standards and instill a passion for customer service in all associates of the hotel.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key clients in order to produce extended stay room sales by regularly selling hotel rooms through direct client contact at their place of business.
- Develop new accounts, maintain existing accounts, and implement sales strategies to achieve revenue goals and maximize profits for the hotel while maintaining guest satisfaction. Create room allocation and pricing strategies for all Local Negotiated Accounts, collaborate with the General Manager and Regional Revenue Manager for counsel as needed.
- Achieve budgeted revenues and personal/team sales goals, and maximize profitability within all areas of responsibility. Participate in the preparation of the annual departmental operating budget, the hotel sales and marketing plan, and other assigned financial plans which support the overall objectives of the hotel. Produce regular reports and sales forecasts.
- Work as part of the senior leadership team of the hotel to positively impact the effectiveness of the operation of the hotel.
- If managing other Sales employees, hiring and evaluating the appropriate sales people for the hotel, directing the day-to-day activities of the team, planning, organizing and assigning work, developing and communicating strategies and goals. Create, train, and motivate those responsible for developing new accounts, maintaining existing accounts, and implementing sales strategies to achieve revenue goals and maximize profits for the hotel, while maintaining guest satisfaction. Advise staff of formal policies and procedures. Manage all human resources-related actions in accordance with Company rules and policies.
- Independently create and implement hotel-level tactical sales plans that drive measurable incremental occupancy, increase average rates, and increase business volume during off-peak periods. Monitor sales activities and performance to ensure actual sales exceed the established revenue plan.
- Analyze current/potential market and sales trends. Coordinate all activities to maintain and increase revenue and market share through added business volume and increased rates.
- Coordinate with other hotel-level departments to facilitate services agreed upon by the Sales Office and prospective clients.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with officials and representatives of local community groups. In coordination with General Manager, serve as hotel representative for media related inquiries and refer sensitive matters to the Corporate Communications as necessary.
- Prepare Weekly/Monthly reporting on account, individual, segment, and tier production.
- Act as “Manager on duty” as required.
- Attend Evening Social and Breakfast events as a representative of the management team of the hotel and to prospect for additional sales leads.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state and local laws regarding health, safety, and alcohol services.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Hotel Administration, Business Administration or related field preferred.
- Three years of previous hotel sales experience strongly preferred.
- Previous background from the extended stay industry preferred.
- Ability to speak, read, and write fluent English; other languages beneficial.
- Professional verbal and written communication skills.
- Mathematical skills, including basic math, budgeting, profit/loss concepts, percentages, and variances.
- Ability to prioritize and organize work assignments.
- Problem solving, reasoning, motivating, organizational and training abilities.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Opera and Automated Sales Systems preferred.
- Ability to travel including some overnight travel is required.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Frequently standing up, bending, climbing, kneeling, and moving about the facility.
- Carrying, lifting or pulling items weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Frequently handling objects and equipment.
Additional Job Description
Sonesta recognizes that benefits play a vital role in helping ensure the health and financialsecurity of employees and their families. We offer a variety of benefits to our employees including:
- Health Benefits (Health & Dental Insurance)
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Sonesta Hotels & Other Outlets Discounts
- Paid Holidays
- Sick Days
- Educational Assistance
- Employee Recognition Programs
- Newborn & Adopted Child Leave
- Spousal & Domestic Partner Leave
- Life Insurance
- Short Term Disability
- Long term Disability
- Employee Referral Program
- Credit Union
- Direct Deposit
- Employee Activities & Events
Upon submitting your application, please ensure you complete a full application in addition to attaching a resume. Incomplete applications received will not be considered.