Job Description Summary
The Director of Sales and Marketing (DOSM) develops and implements sales strategy of the hotel to ensure that occupancy, average daily rate and marketshare goals are achieved. The DOSM will work directly with the Executive Team to identify specific strategies and tactics to drive revenue according to the hotel’s seasonal demand. The DOSMwill work with Sonesta’s Marketing, Revenue Management, and Sales teams to leverage national brand strategies at the local level. In addition, this role will lead a team of Sales Professionals and beresponsible for attracting, retaining and developing our Sales Team consistent with our values and culture. Overall, the role will balance the needs of our Guests, the Employees andfinancialobjectives.
- Professionally represent the hotel in community and industry organizations and events.
- Participate as a team player with other Executive Team Members.
- Provide constructive feedback to all departments and to hotel sales and marketing staff.
- Be a leader and role model to all employees.
- Additional duties as necessary and assigned.
- Actively participates and leads in DBR, weekly sales and strategy meetings
- Works with Director of Revenue Management on monthly, quarterly and annual group rooms forecasting.
- Assist with the direction of the entire sales and catering team ; carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with company policies which may include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Incorporates marketing and public relations initiatives to support the sales strategies and activities.
- Establishes a sense of urgency with the team to understand and achieve the needs of the hotel.
- Handles specific accounts assigned by the Corporate Direct of Sales.
- Works with General Manager, Revenue Manager and Operations team to develop and execute revenue management strategies to maximize revenues with an eye on raising ADR and profitability of the business.
- Works closely with the corporate functional leaders to ensure that Sonesta property is maximizing sales and marketing opportunities that require Sonesta corporate support including but not limited to: SEO, PPC, Direct Marketing, Advertising, Public Relations.
- Ensures that the sales team is properly deployed, is working the correct market segments, and participates in the right trade shows and corporate supported GSO missions.
- Responsible for total hotel revenue to include Food and Beverage, and Banquets and Catering revenue.
- Financial responsibilities to also include compensation and the processing of sales incentive payments.
Strategy and Planning:
- Develop and execute sales & marketing strategies through preparation of a strategic sales plan, implementation and administration of the S&M budget and the establishment of annual seller goals.
- Regular analysis of industry intelligence reports (STR, Demand 360, Agency 360, Knowland etc.)
Pulls and analyzes appropriate data to develop and recommend appropriate actions.
- Assist with individual quarterly SMART Plans.
- Develops and approves sales and catering team annual goals, and reviews and revises the goals as needed midyear.
- Directly works with the corporate sales and marketing team to develop strategies for public relations, advertising, marketing/sales providers with responsibility for managing the plans set forth and approved.
- Develop and execute action plans against existing and new target accounts to achieve and exceed sales quotas within the assigned segment.
- Drive Top Line Revenue.
- Act as a steward of the hotels annual Sales and Marketing travel and marketing budget
- Work closely with the sales and catering team towards achievement of aggressive both quarterly and annual goals for production and consumption.
- Financial Acumen.
- Reporting and Analytics.
- Knowledge of Hospitality Systems.
Managing your Team
- Ability to recruit, supervises, train and motivate multiple levels of managers.
- Ensure team members receive proper training applicable to their position and career aspirations and in accordance with company policy and/or local laws.
- Responsible for monitoring, measuring, and recognizing performance management of team members who directly report to the role and indirect reports.
- Support, comply and promote company initiatives, policies and guidelines.
- Handle employee issues in a professional, thoughtful and timely manner.
Leading with Passion
- Utilize and collaborate with resources across different departments capable of influencing peer group to perform to their highest standard and establishing a trusting environment to enrich the culture.
- Focus on the mission and well-being of the department, hotel, and company as a whole.
- Lead by example and operate with integrity and respect.
- Inspire your team to embrace and demonstrate our values and GUEST People Standards
Qualifications and Skills
A candidate for this position must possess the following applicable knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to demonstrate and provide applicable examples to support their competencies therein.
- Bachelor’s degree in Hotel Administration, Business Administration or related field experiencepreferred.
- 5 plus years of previous Director level hotel sales experiencepreferred
- A successful track record of direct sales and new business development
- Must possess the ability and willingness to travel25% of the time.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organization skills.
- Demonstrated business and financial acumen.
- Appropriate professional appearance and demeanor.
- Ability to deliver presentations in a concise, well-organized manner.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrates knowledge of job-related processes and systems (i.e. IT systems specific to sales including Delphi, Meeting Broker and technologies or distributionchannels used to source group business (Lanyon, Starcite, Cvent).
Additional Job Description
Sonesta recognizes that benefits play a vital role in helping ensure the health and financialsecurity of employees and their families. We offer a variety of benefits to our employees including:
- Health Benefits (Health & Dental Insurance)
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Sonesta Hotels & Other Outlets Discounts
- Paid Holidays
- Sick Days
- Educational Assistance
- Employee Recognition Programs
- Newborn & Adopted Child Leave
- Spousal & Domestic Partner Leave
- Life Insurance
- Short Term Disability
- Long term Disability
- Employee Referral Program
- Credit Union
- Direct Deposit
- Employee Activities & Events
Upon submitting your application, please ensure you complete a full application in addition to attaching a resume. Incomplete applications received will not be considered.