Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Retail will manage and grow a retail operation that sells used and over-stock building materials, appliances, and furniture to provide a revenue stream used to support sustainable funding source for Habitat for Humanity Homeownership
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversees and manages all Restore operations, full P&L responsibility, donation procurement, talent recruiting & retention, and retail operations.
- Partners with Development (Fundraising) Team to grow and nurture ReStore In-Kind Donations program.
- Partners with Community Engagement to develop an effective volunteer base to help carry out the work of the Restore as needed.
- Builds upon and executes the Retail Strategic Plan as part of the Affiliate’s Strategic Plan.
- Sets a positive environment for all employees, volunteers and patrons. Provide superior customer service; safeguards that grievances are addressed appropriately.
- Ensures all activities are carried out in a safe and healthy manner, meeting all OSHA and environmental requirements.
Financial Management and Development
- Oversees ReStore finances and cash flows to ensure compliance with approved budget.
- Provide monthly reports of sales activities, expenses, progress on projects, etc. to Executive Director for Board of Directors.
- Work closely with the Executive Director to create and implement policies and procedures for efficient and effective operation of the ReStore, as well as plans for promotion of and growth in the ReStore – including online sales and additional locations.
- Implement and monitor daily monetary transactions and deposits.
- Monitor competitive pricing and practices. Set pricing for all merchandise consistent with existing policy and train staff accordingly.
Personnel and Volunteer Management
- Screens, hires and discharges Restore staff.
- Participates in the onboarding of all ReStore and Affiliate staff
- Implements and enforces DHFH personnel policies.
- Supervises trains and directs key staff in the performance of their duties, including determining staff job descriptions.
- Evaluates the performance of ReStore store managers no less frequently than bi-annually.
- Oversees control and direction for the personnel and volunteer function at ReStore.
- Provides recommendations to the Executive Director on proposed changes in staffing and organization structure.
- Prepares Annual Operational Plans and Budgets for approval of the Affiliate Board of Directors
- Oversees and directs the ReStore team activity to ensure schedule and within budget.
- Oversees and directs the Restore team to ensure sales meet or exceed stated targets.
- Ensures all policies and practices associated with the donation to and sale of materials from the ReStore are followed.
- Ensures that all facilities are clean, inviting, with appropriate merchandising that appeals to all, and that all equipment, vehicles, and the like are maintained to the highest standard.
Marketing, HFH Affiliates, Public and Community Relationships
- Maintains relationships with other area ReStore and local Habitat for Humanity Affiliates, DHFH staff and volunteers, and Habitat partner families.
- Develops and maintains appropriate relationships with local coalitions, funding sources, supporters and donors including religious and corporate organizations; federal, state and local government units; other agencies donating to provide a steady flow of goods and merchandise.
- Document donations and sales of goods and merchandise precisely and in accord with policy.
- Provides positive visibility of DuPage Habitat for Humanity ReStore in the community.
- Oversee and coordinate a marketing plan that includes advertising, networking, in-store display/sales presentation, website development in order to solicit donations, recruit volunteers and boost sales.
- Maximize the use of donor and customer base with an eye toward increasing donations and sales.
Senior Leadership Team
- Serve as a member of Senior Leadership Team and follow that team’s mission to “Recruit and develop individual talent into championship teams to grow the organization in the mission of Habitat.” In that role the Director of Retail:
- Supports Increasing resources and their effectiveness; collaborating and leveraging opportunities with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Serves as a strategic thought partner on substantive issues that are relevant to the pursuit of the mission focusing on staff support and management, budgeting, short and long term strategy, addressing crisis, and pursuing new opportunities.
- Performs other duties as may become necessary or required for the successful implementation of the organization’s mission.
THE IDEAL APPLICANT WILL HAVE THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
- Leadership ability and previous retail management experience
- Demonstrated initiative, ability to work with multiple teams, and ability to manage functional areas. Experience in managing multiple responsibilities simultaneously
- Strong professional written and verbal communication skills and outstanding interpersonal skills are a must
- Professional and cooperative manner and the ability to work with community leadership, board members and donors outside the organization
- Demonstrated passion for and understanding of the organization’s mission, vision and values
- Progressive thinker and visionary with complete understanding of relationship management
- Ability to motivate others to produce quality materials with tight deadlines and simultaneously manage several projects
- Ability to participate in and facilitate team-oriented and group meetings
- Strong analytical, quantitative, problem-solving and technical skills
- High energy, clear goal orientation and strong work ethic
- Ability to represent Habitat for Humanity with diverse audiences
- Ability to work occasional weekends and evenings as needed.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- A Bachelor’s degree in business management or a related field.
- An advanced degree is preferred.
- Professional experience with 5 years’ experience working in retail/project management. A background in multi-store management is a plus.
- Knowledge of the not for profit development, fundraising, business and civic community in the DuPage County area a plus.
- Preferably familiarity with Habitat for Humanity and affordable housing
- Excellent interpersonal and intercultural communication skills; excellent oral communication and ability to participate in public speaking events.
- Excellent written communication, research, and organizational skills.
- Interest, enthusiasm, and affinity for retail and working with people.