Director of Residential ServicesLOCATION
Student LifeDIVISION NAME
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPIJOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
The Director of Residential Services serves as the overall administrative head of Residential Services and ID Services. Responsible for managing the housing operations and residential education programs for the 2500 undergraduate bed system in more than 12 residence halls and communities across campus including supervising professional, support and paraprofessional staff. Responsible for managing the WPI owned off-campus graduate properties and off campus housing services, with an overall departmental budget of approximately $20.6 million.
WPI is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We are looking for candidates who can support our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Provide oversight and develop strategic vision for all aspects of a comprehensive residence hall system: Develop policies and procedures for all aspects of department functions (including housing contracts and selection processes) to ensure the appropriate delivery of services and programs focused on a responsive, customer-service oriented philosophy; Coordinate emergency and critical incident response protocols for the residence hall system; Serve as the primary department representative to the internal WPI community and external community.
- Supervision: Directly supervise the Senior Associate Director of Residential Services and provide leadership in their supervision of the Assistant Director of Residential Operations, Residential Operations Coordinator and Residential Services Assistant; Directly supervise the Associate Director of Residential Education and provide leadership in their supervision of the Community Directors and paraprofessional Resident Advisor/ Graduate Housing Assistant staff.
- Develop and monitor the budget: Develop line item budgets for all residence halls, and work in partnership with the Budget and Finance Office to establish housing rates; Responsible for the overall management and rental of WPI owned graduate properties; Track the occupancy and revenue for the residence hall system and graduate properties.
- Assessment: Provide guidance to the Associate Director of Residential Education related to ongoing assessment of the residential learning outcomes and divisional strategic objectives.
- Provide guidance and direction to the Associate Director of Residential Education in the oversight of the Residence Education program including staff selection, training, students of concern and programming.
- Provide guidance and direction to the Senior Associate Director of Residential Services in the oversight of graduate housing, undergraduate housing selection, occupancy management, the work order system, facilities related repairs and custodial work. Assist in the development of a schedule for short and long term facilities projects and furniture replacement for the residence halls. Provide leadership for building renovation and new construction projects.
- Oversee ID services and all card operations for student, staff, and faculty ID cards and access within WPI. Assist in the development and monitoring of the ID services budget.
- Provide guidance and direction in the oversight and coordination of the Summer Conference Program. Responsible for the development and monitoring of the summer conference budget. Oversee the emergency response to critical incidents for residential summer conferences.
- Serve as a conduct officer for the campus conduct system as needed, and as appeals officer for conduct cases arising from the residence halls or graduate properties.
- Facilitate regularly scheduled department meetings and attend Student Affairs division meetings. Serve as a member of the after-hours emergency Administrator-on-Call (AOC) system coordinated by the Dean’s office. Serve on division or campus wide committees as appropriate.
- Coordinate all internal and external contracts with vendors associated with the residential services functional area, as well as undergraduate and graduate housing contracts.
- Advise, counsel, and act as a referral agent for students as needed. Assist in problem solving and act as a referral agent for issues raised by faculty, staff, and parents of students.
- Establish effective working relationships with other campus offices and departments to ensure quality services for the resident population. These offices include, but are not limited to: Academic Advising, Campus Police, Dining Services, Facilities, Enrollment Management, Information Technology, Finance and Operations, Events Office, Registrar, and the Global Experience Office.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Applicants must have demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace and/or commitment to do so as an employee at WPI.
- Master's degree in college student personnel, higher education administration or related area required.
- A demonstrated record of success and 7-10 years of progressive experience in residential services administration, including budget development, housing operations, and supervision is required.
- Experience in working with computerized housing database management and card access systems preferred and computer proficiency required.
- Experience with building renovations and/or new construction is preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and customer service orientation is required.
- Please include a cover letter to be considered for this position.
- Please note WPI requires all employees to be fully-vaccinated for COVID-19. For more information, please visit
United States of America (Exempt)WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.