Director of Research
5 - 7 years experience •
The Director of Research leads project teams in the execution of ethnographic research. The Director of Research liaises with clients and designs research to ensure alignment between client needs and study methodology. He or she supervises the execution of projects from initial proposal discussions to final delivery and presentation, identifying methodological or budgetary adjustments as necessary to ensure profitable and effective research. The Director of Research manages the workload of staff and facilitates their professional development, while creating and refining procedures and policies to enable their success. The Director of Research also works closely with staff involved with participant recruiting, videography, and deliverable creation to continuously improve Design Science?s abilities and offerings.
- Masters degree in anthropology; biological sciences, biomedical engineering, business (i.e., MBA), or related field (i.e., product design and development). Bachelors degree in related fields will also be considered with adequate professional experience.
- Minimum 5years of client or internal stakeholder management experience.
- Minimum 5years of staff management / supervisory experience.
- Evidence of collaboration with colleagues in other disciplines such as software development, mechanical and electricalengineering, industrial design, visual design, and marketing.
- Proven track record of ability to successfully lead a team towards a common goal.
- Ability to create and maintain a budget and successfully manage projects to maximize profitability.
- Evidence of collaboration with colleagues in other disciplines.
- Strong writing and presentation skills.
- Excellent customer services skills.
- Evidence of creative problem-solving.
- Flexibility in fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work full time at a Design Science office and to travel approximately 20% of the time, domestically and internationally.
Additional Skills and Experience Desired:
- Experience with, or knowledge of, basic concepts and principles of anthropology, ethnographic research, market research and/or product development.
- Interest in and familiarity with human anatomy, surgical procedures, and the design of medical devices.
- Experience developing or contributing to the development of standard operating procedures.
- Leading client management and proposal writing
- Overseeing high-level project execution
- Designing studies, including research and analysis plans
- Planning and editing deliverables
- Presenting to clients
- Reviewing project budgets
- Cultivating beneficial collaboration and relationships with third-parties
- Managing scope of work changes and writing appropriate addendums
- Leading process improvement initiatives
- Organizing and supervising ethnographic department meetings and project meetings
- Creating and refining standard operating procedures for ethnography
- Supporting internal operations and attend strategy meetings
- Facilitating the professional development of staff
- Conduct field research and interviews
- Creating / writing deliverables
- Participating in analysis meetings
- Organizing and synthesizing findings
- Managing recruiting
- Creating study documents (screeners, protocols)