About the Job
Director of Release Engineering role is to guide and develop worldwide build and release engineering staff (domestic and offshore) in best practices for building and releasing software products produced by 8x8 as well as routinely engage with all levels of engineering leadership to facilitate exchange of best practices, plan for future needs of clients and drive corporate standards for SCM and build and release activities.
8x8 is looking for a dynamic technical leader to join our team as a hands-on Director/Manager of ReleaseEngineering. The ideal candidate for this position will have a deep understanding and hands on experience in releaseengineering, git, micro services, build/deployment automation, CI/CD pipeline, orchestration, automation of environment spin out for the enterprise backend systems (services, integration, middleware etc). You will need deep technical depth to conduct deep dives, lead root cause analysis efforts and defend your opinions about DevOps, releaseengineering & automation practices.
- Take over release responsibility for 200+ engineers. Be the point of contact and sanity for releases.
- Automate the building and maintaining of Development, Testing/QA, Staging and Production environments.
- Educate and push Git branching model.
- Scheduling, building, testing and maintaining multiple application deployments.
- Continuously improve systems and processes.
- Working closely with team members and development to improve existing systems.
- On-call availability during weeknights and weekends.
- Give technical guidance and knowledge transfer to engineering peers.
- At least 10 years of releaseengineeringexperience.
- At least 8+ years of experience as a proven hands-on DevOps Engineer with overall 10+ years of relevant industry experience.
- Experience with configuration management (Puppet, Chef), provisioning, infrastructure as code, and other DevOps concepts and tools (Jenkins, Rundeck, Vagrant, Docker, etc).
- Prior success with deep knowledge on releaseengineering & automation for large scale Enterprise systems.
- CI/CD experience leveraging Jenkins/Chef/Puppet or similar deployment tools.
- Strong passion towards building tools and systems that enable otherdevelopers to build great things.
- A strong desire to automate everything!
- Ability to clearly communicate and convey highly technical ideas in terms non-geeks can understand.
- Significant technical experience in release automation engineering, Continuous Integration, DevOps, software/systems developer, software development & releaseengineering manager, or related role.
- A motivated self-starting personality, able to work independently while maintaining patience with constant interruptions and multiple requests.