If you seek a truly outstanding employment experience, Utica National is the place for you. We are always looking for conscientious, customer orientated individuals to join our team - whether you're a seasoned professional or just starting out. We offer a supportive and friendly work environment that features a variety of career paths.
We offer challenging assignments, advancement opportunities, full benefits packages, competitive salaries, and a great work environment. And, we're big enough to offer the opportunities you need to be successful, but not so big that you'll get lost in the crowd.
PURPOSE OF JOB
To ensure the profitable growth of regional underwriting operations with a focus dedicated to middle market business.
The Director of Regional Underwriting (DRUO) will ensure that the underwriting teams reporting to them are properly underwriting and pricing new and renewal business that is handled in the region. The DRUO will also be responsible for ensuring that underwriters are effectively pipelining business, coaching and mentoring their supervisors to ensure a high performing underwriting team. The DRUO will also assist the region in sales support with agent visitation and relationship building for current and future sales success for the region.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage the Underwriting Department for our Eastern Regional Office.
- For risk selection and underwriting review functions, provide technical supervision and surveillance, including Quality Control spot-check duties.
- Carry out responsibilities as to all personnel, making certain that the tasks of hiring, firing, administering salaries, counseling, reviewing performance, coaching/developing and training are properly handled.
- Evaluate changes in rates, coverage, rules, regulations, statutes, or any other external factors having possible impact on regional experience and using these evaluations, take proper action locally and make recommendations to the Home Office wherever appropriate.
- Monitor loss experience and take appropriate underwriting action to improve this experience.
- Working with the Manager of Services, evolve work flow procedures to ensure adequate service to the Company’s producers and to facilitate internal processing.
- Maintain effective liaison with the Marketing Department and with producers; oversee the planning of agency visits by all underwriting personnel.
- Wherever appropriate, prepare bulletins and letters to producers transmitting notices of changes in manual pages, rates, underwriting policies, and procedures, etc.
- Abide by the “Responsibilities Common to all Executives and Supervisors.
- Four (4) year college degree or equivalent experience.
- 3-5 years previous commercial underwriting leadership experience preferred.
- Completion of the IIA General Insurance series and the IIA Underwriting series preferred.
- Coursework towards a CPCU and/or CIC designation preferred.
- Supervisory/management coursework or experience required.
- Excellent technical verbal and writing skills desirable.
- External contact with brokers, reinsurers, including in-person visits.
- Internal contact extends to the executive level.
- Important with regard to policyholder information as well as staff personnel information.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong mathematical/financial background
- Decision-making ability
- Supervisory/management abilities to hire, fire, promote and recommend budget control for the unit.
OTHER JOB CHARACTERISTICS:
- Travel required
- Overtime, when necessary
- Ability to meet and contend with supervisory deadlines
We believe strongly that talented people are core to our success and are attracted to companies that provide competitive pay, comprehensive benefits packages, career advancement and challenging work opportunities. We offer a Comprehensive Benefits Plan for full time employees that include the following:
- 401K plan
- Medical coverage
- Dental coverage
- Flexible spending accounts
- Vision care coverage
- Paid Time-Off (PTO)
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Volunteer Day
- Employee and Dependent life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Accidental death & dismemberment insurance
- Discounts on automobile and homeowner's insurance
- Tuition reimbursement
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Credit Union membership
- Employees' Club