Growing hand tool manufacturer is looking for a Director of Research and Development. Company will relocate.
Direct, coordinate and participate in the research and development of new products or extensive functional modification of existing product lines. Plan, organize and assign work to engineers to research, develop, design, construct, test and evaluate each project. Responsible for planning and developing all research and development projects. Evaluate feasibility of design, manufacturing, profitability, competitive product lines and marketing potential and make recommendations. Liaison with individuals within and outside the organization with responsibility for acting independently on technical matters.
1. Responsible for all levels of management and development of projects.
2. Direct and implement the company's research and development policies, objectives and initiatives.
3. Ensure research and development activities will maintain and grow the company's competitive position and profitability in the marketplace.
4. Constantly research our marketplace to ensure we are providing current products and services.
5. Conceptualize, architect and document the company's product platforms and next generation products.
6. Oversee the execution of company development projects.
7. Develop, implement and supervise unified standard of engineering processes, policies and methods.
8. Direct and manage the various research and development staff as a unified group, thus realizing the potential of the whole to perform excellent engineering tasks.
9. Initiate patents on new products and follow process of patent application through patent award.
10. Suggest changes in working conditions to increase efficiency.
11. Act as a leader within the company.
1. Train and evaluate employee performance.
2. May recommend promotions, transfers and disciplinary action within department.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
1. Expert knowledge of research and development, engineering principles and manufacturing processes.
2. Strong mechanical aptitude and knowledge of auto, diesel, motorcycle and marine tool markets.
3. Ability to think conceptually and analyze operation data impacting company resources.
4. Ability to effectively evaluate performance against goals.
5. Good coaching skills required to build a strong team concept.
6. Technical background, with experience in hand tools and/or transportation industry.
7. Excellent teamwork skills.
8. Ability to initiate and lead new methods for design, cost reduction and quality improvements.
9. Strong verbal and written communication skills with ability to present issues, plans, objectives and directives.
10. Ability to work in a fast-paced organization, meeting multiple deadlines and succeeding under pressure is essential.
DESIRED PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
1. Strong planning and project management skills.
2. Creative problem solver to assist with product strategy.
3. Excellent organizational skills with ability to prioritize and multi-task.
4. Detail and team oriented.
5. Leadership qualities.
6. Team player who values consensus but can also be assertive when required.
7. Professional, positive demeanor with sound work ethics.
8. Motivated, resourceful, self-directed, ambitious, enthusiastic, and attentive to detail.
BS Degree in Engineering. Master's degreepreferred. Eight to ten years of experience in managing product development and engineering in hand tool manufacturing industry.