Director of Quality Assurance
11 - 15 years experience •
Milk Specialties Global has an exciting opportunity available for a Director of Quality Assurance in our Eden Prairie, MN Corporate Office.
The Director of Quality Assurance has the responsibility for implementing and maintaining the Quality Assurance and Regulatory Program at Milk Specialties Global facilities. This includes MSG owned facilities, toll manufacturers and key suppliers. This role will work closely with EVP and Sr. Director of Quality Assurance and other MSG management to drive a Quality culture through training and awareness, continuous improvement and development of the Quality System and developing strong relationships with operations, customers and external industry groups. This is an excellent opportunity for a leader and dedicated individual that thrives in a nimble, fast-paced environment.
Our Director of Quality Assurance Will:
- Report directly to the EVP as a you champion for the Plant’s Quality programs, processes, and systems to ensure that plant performance exceeds company-wide expectations.
- Responsible for ensuring that Milk Specialties Global manufacturing operations are performing as a highly aligned network. Providing leadership for alignment of quality metrics and performance between Corporate Quality and Plant Operations.
- Develop and implement Milk Specialties Global quality plan including strategies, goals and objectives that will achieve quality targets consistent with Milk Specialties Global strategic plan.
- Develop employee education programs for specified operations Quality Assurance teams to maintain high performance at the plant level.
- Lead plant operations teams to achieve First Pass Quality targets.
- Work in tandem with the QA Managers and Operations to ensure all customer complaints are investigated and addressed in a timely manner. Drive strategic projects to improve and prevent future occurrences. Assist with communication to the customer/consumer. Interact with customers to identify opportunities to improve quality and establish feedback with manufacturing and development personnel.
- Establish Quality Assurance Specifications for all products and ingredients and ensure that these specifications are met and adhered to and meet the cost-effective requirements for ease of manufacture and responsibility.
- Interface with suppliers, customers to ensure supplier compliance, customer satisfaction and lead corrective action.
- Support sales and business with key customer meetings, visits/audits and ensure follow up by the plant on any required quality/food safety action items. Ensure the manufacturing sites can deliver on the expectations set forth in customer agreement, product formulations and finished good specifications. Communicate any potential gaps.
- Work jointly with R&D on the development and commercialization of new products to ensure they follow company policies, SOPs and specifications.
- Monitor trends in data that may lead to rejection or non-compliance. Put preventive programs in place as needed.
- Serve as the primary quality control resource for problem identification, resolution, loss reporting and continuous improvement.
- Produce timely reports on quality related issues including topics discussed in periodic quality assurance and management meetings.
- Keep abreast of matters relating to the production methods, formulations and application of the Company’s products.
- Remain current with federal regulations as they relate to the Company’s products, GMP’s and analytical requirements, and ensure that analytical requirements are met.
- Develop and maintain the SOPs as related to the Corporate Quality Assurance function.
- Accept a challenging environment where solving problems, continuous learning, and a high technical aptitude is the norm, not the exception.
- Apply process improvement methodology where appropriate.
- Perform special projects and other responsibilities as needed.
- Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Food Safety, Sciences, or related field.
- Master Degree preferred.
- 10+ years of previous experience operating at a Senior Manager or Director-level Quality Assurance role in a multi-plant food manufacturing company both at the Plant and Corporate level.
- 10+ years of supervisory experience successfully leading team and driving strong team performance.
- Dairy industry experience is preferred.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment across functions, all levels of management, facilities, regulatory agencies and customers.
- Ability to understand and analyze issues involving food manufacturing, natural sciences, mathematics (including statistics), technical and legal documents.
- Ability to understand issues in relation to product manufacturing operations and their impact.
- Ability to help develop and/or execute strategic plans to meet departmental and organizational goals while complying with regulatory and customer requirements.
- Experience with application of FDA current Good Manufacturing Practices with a proven track record of business performance improvement and strong operational knowledge of SQF.
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities.
- A team player who wants to contribute to a thriving culture.
- Self-motivated, proactive individual who will constantly seek improvement opportunities.
- Skilled in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and ERP systems.
- Strong problem-solving, organizational and analytical skills and possess an acute attention to detail.
- Ability to work with a sense of urgency in a fast-paced organization and handle multiple projects to meet deadlines.
- Service and continuous improvement oriented.
- Outstanding customer-centric skills; adept to communicating effectively both written and verbal to a variety of audiences.
- Experience in designing and implementing quality systems.
- Strong operational knowledge of Corporate and Plant Quality Systems.
- Strong knowledge of laboratory testing procedures and computer software applications.
- Up to 50% travel.