Position Overview: Burrell Behavioral Health is seeking an experienced communications and public relations professional to manage our Arkansas Region, which covers an eight-county area based in Rogers. The Director of Public Relations must be skilled and passionate about public relations and business development and be able to execute multi-market internal, external, media and community partnership initiatives that further our strategic goals and brand priorities. In addition, the Director of Public Relations will support all Burrell marketing and communications efforts, serve as the primary regional contact for all earned media and press interactions, help identify and vet paid marketing opportunities, responsibly lead reputation management, and provide value to the organization’s overall growth strategy. The Director of Public Relations also will serve as the primary communications official within the Arkansas Region, organizing and executing regional staff communications and informational efforts, as well as serving as a primary point of contact and spokesperson for regional leadership.
Reporting to the System Director, Communications, based in Springfield, the Director will:
- Grow a significant and strategic public relations base that impacts the overall reach and reputation of the organization in a manner that supports continually improved reputation, business opportunity and state or national influence for all services.
- Develop and manage a strategic public relations program that includes media relations, reputation management, stakeholder communications, corporate communications, corporate events, working as Arkansas Region liaison to Burrell’s marketing department. This includes development of crisp, culturally informed, and relevant messages, timely and thoughtful public relations, and strategic and forward-thinking media relations.
- Develop and oversee a strategic media relations program, proactively working with news media to generate positive coverage, as well as actively assessing and responding to inquiries from reporters.
- Lead or support all internal staff communications efforts (e-mail, web-based, in-person and virtual meetings, etc.) in the Arkansas Region.
- Serve as a company spokesperson and be a key leader in issues, reputation, and crisis management.
- Help direct the work of the communications and marketing team and collaborate with other key employees to ensure that messages are aligned, the organization speaks with one voice, and that appropriate leaders, providers and employees can deliver messages effectively.
- Identify, manage and draft (when necessary) external communications, including brochures, press comments, speeches, position papers, presentations, talking points, key messages, videos scripts, etc.
- Stay up to date on legislative activity in Little Rock relating to matters of interest to Burrell or affecting its legislative priorities; maintain relationships with key governmental figures as required.
- Lead or contribute to employee engagement efforts in the Arkansas Region in concert with marketing and communications, human resources, diversity & inclusion, and other departments as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Attributes and Qualifications:
- Inspires trust and confidence, including ability to influence directly and indirectly. Prefers high-energy environment characterized by high growth expectations.
- Top of field verbal and written communication and presentation skills, both in person and on-camera, with demonstrated ability to distill complex issues into compelling communications.
- Capable of managing thoughtful follow-through on all potential opportunities and relationships.
- Approaches challenging circumstances and relationships with confidence and initiative.
- Excellent listener balanced with ability to challenge colleagues constructively and stimulate the thinking of others.
- Confident decision maker supported by disciplined, logical thinking, attention to detail and fact-based, documented conclusions and opinions.
- Ability to interpret emerging trends, transfer knowledge to peer executives and implement as appropriate to enable continued achievement of the organization's vision.
- Strong healthcare and/or mental health acumen and sensitivity; thinks holistically, incorporates overall company objectives in developing strategy and decisions.
- Experience working with populations and constituents in a community health or human service environment.
- B2B public relations experience and experience in traditional media and digital media communications.
- Significant experience developing and executing multi-channel strategic communications plans.
- Established relationships and the ability to build additional community, media, social media, business development, and public relationships on Burrell’s behalf.
Required Education: Bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications, marketing or related field. Master’s degree in communications or public relations strongly preferred.
Required Experience: 5+ years in communications or public relations with relevant behavioral health and media background. Other healthcare background may be considered in lieu of behavioral health with other relevant experience.
About Burrell Behavioral Health:
Burrell Behavioral Health is a private, not for profit behavioral health network providing a wide range of behavioral health services for individuals and families in Missouri and Arkansas. We collaborate with medical partners, legal and judicial systems, and schools to provide a comprehensive and integrated approach to our service delivery. We believe access to behavioral health services is a concept, and is not limited to traditional clinic settings.
Looking to feed your desire to give to your community and support those who need a helping hand, look no further. Not only is Burrell growing the amount of its resources, services, and facilities to assist as many communities as possible, it also provides plenty of opportunity for growth in your current field and the freedom to explore others. Our culture and our environment are unlike any other. We offer highly-competitive pay and a full range of top-notch full-time employee benefits such as:
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Basic Life Insurance
- Student Loan Reimbursement
- Paid Time Off
- Long-Term Disability
- 403(b) Retirement Plan