- Works cross-functionally to develop comprehensive test plans to verify and validate the durability of complete vehicles, vehicle systems, and vehicle components.
- Works cross-functionally to develop test plans to characterize vehicle performance according to known industry standards and world regulatory requirements.
- Maintains and directs the execution of all test plans for each project
- Leads the design, documentation and maintenance of Zero Motorcycles vehicle and component test procedures and equipment, such as fatigue, ultimate, weather, performance, DOE, etc.
- Leads and directs the appropriate instrumentation of vehicles for data acquisition, including velocities, accelerations, strains, temperatures, current, voltage, etc.
- Interprets test data and creates/reviews/presents test reports.
- Creates documentation archive structure for all test data.
- Creates and maintains Prototype and Test department budget in support of forecast work
- Works with external labs to plan and coordinate tests
- Manages a clean and professional R&D lab, ensuring the availability and maintenance of necessary prototyping and test equipment in support of Engineering development
- Schedules daily work of test engineers and engineering technicians, provides training and feedback to ensure that safe and professional work practices are followed
- Manages the throughput of prototype components in support of Engineering development
- Configures, maintains and signs off on the readiness of vehicles for safe on- and off-road testing
- Coordinates personnel, vehicle and equipment travel to remote test facilities
- Conducts vehicle and component disassembly after testing; documents and reports results
- Bachelors of Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
- 10+ years experience in automotive Research & Developmet, with specific emphasis on testing
- Intimate working knowledge of instrumentation and data acquisition systems; experience in instrumenting motorcycles/vehicles
- Good understanding of motorcycle/vehicle dynamics
- Solid understanding of mechanics of materials and high and low cycle fatigue theory.
- Excellent technical report writing skills.
- Extensive experience in test data management systems.
- Extensive knowledge of methods, techniques, parts, tools and materials used to maintain and repair motorcycles
- Ability to operate and maintain a variety of hand and power tools, shop tools, and shop equipment to prototype and service motorcycle components and vehicles
- Ability to proficiently operate diagnostic tools, scopes, meters, and other test equipment
- Familiarity with R&D lab procedures and policies
- Experience planning and managing human and financial resources.
Skills and Attributes
- Must be able to work effectively with cross functional teams including Design Engineering, Production, Quality, Materials, Marketing, Sales and Customer Service.
- Must have excellent communication and organizational skills and maintain a professional and safe work environment.