The Director of Program Management (DPM) is accountable for defining, structuring, resourcing, executing, monitoring, and managing critical, cross-department projects and scheduling within a technical program. This individual will provide reporting and program transparency to the entire ABC team including executives, departmental stakeholders, business users, and clients; and coordinate closely with technical leadership and our vendors to drive success. The DPM will also be responsible for understanding and monitoring the program budget, working withinternal and external leadership to remediate any variances and to ensure accountability of suppliers and partners for multiple projects simultaneously. Additionally, the DPM will establish and lead a Governance Office to provide oversight and the program functions described herein.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead a team of technical and business experts in the growth and transformation of a technical program area focused on new product innovation.
- Work closely with technical leadership to identify priorities, document solutions and develop plans to realize business and technical requirements quickly, efficiently, and with quality following Agile principles.
- Manage the technical program schedule and take initiative among Product Managers and Software Engineering Managers to ensure all integrations, dependencies and business priorities are incorporated into the enterprise releaseschedule.
- Provide thought leadership and direction on assigned programs ensuring disciplined execution and continuous improvement of Program and Project Management practices.
- Accountable for the success of critical, cross-department projects within a program within agreed budgets and timelines.
- Ensure projects adhere to sound company policies for change management and security.
- Coordinate with vendors to drive project success and provide critical thinking and troubleshooting on program issues or decisions.
- Create and ensure compliance with all relevant PM standards, documents, policies and best practices.
- Promote visibility to the program backlog and focus program team effort on strategic priorities.
- Ensure transparency in all project communications and manage escalation of scope change requests for review.
- Ensure effective stakeholders identification and engagement during all project phases.
- Instill a sense of urgency and mutual responsibility within project teams in achieving goals.
- Manage risks, budgets and dependencies within projects and across departments and programs.
- Provide program transparency to all levels of the organization through regular and continuous program reporting and dashboarding.
- Departmental Expectations
- Flexibility - ABC is a client centric organization requiring a great deal of flexibility
- Professional Development is offered and expected for all Software Development positions. You must have the initiative to keep your manager informed of your desired development goals.
- While we have multiple teams within Software Development we are one team and all communication and actions must represent that.
- Participate in daily scrums and standups.
- Peer and stakeholder reviews are held annually and require all to participate in a timely manner
- Perform other duties as assigned by manager or management
- Regular and reliable attendance is required
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field preferred, Master’s Degree preferred
- 2+ years’ experience leading technical programs including creation of roadmap schedules, business communications and cross-program coordination
- 5-7 years’ experience leading concurrent, complex, cross-department projects in a rapidly changing, fast-paced environment.
- 3+ years of experience leading complex IT-centric projects implementing custom-developed products with large network rollouts and cross-organizational reporting components.
- Experience with industry standard agile methodology management software preferred
- Experience in managing program budgets and reputational and business risks for the organization, IT, and the corporate entity.
- Experience in using a range of portfolio, program and project management approaches including traditional and Agile (Scrum, Kanban) methodologies.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Detailed knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point
- Expertise in project management tools including Microsoft Project and Project Server
- Strong familiarity with Jira or VersionOne software
- Listening skills – Ability to understand not only what people say but what they might be hesitant to say or what they may otherwise be unable to effectively communicate.
- Analytical Skills - Ability to critically, judiciously, and quickly evaluate information gathered from multiple sources, reconcile conflicting input, decompose high-level information into details, abstract low-level information to more general level, distinguish presented user requests from the true underlying needs, and distinguish solution ideas from actual requirements
- Facilitation skills – Ability to lead requirements elicitation meetings and workshops
- Observational skills – Ability to validate data obtained via other techniques and expose new areas for elicitation
- Writing skills – Ability to document requirements through Use Cases and User Stories and communicate information effectively to customers, users, managers, and technical staff and to provide written communication and status updates appropriate for all levels of the organization
- Presentation skills – Ability to present plans, status, issue, risks, project updates, or other critical information to a variety of stakeholders including executive management, departmental stakeholders, business users and clients
- Organizational skills – Ability to work with the vast array of information gathered during elicitation and analysis and to cope with rapidly changing information
- Interpersonal skills – Ability to help negotiate priorities and to resolve conflicts among project stakeholders.
- Flexibility/adaptability – ability to changes priorities quickly and often.
- Possesses an understanding of enterprise technology infrastructure, application development & maintenance, software testing, and IT architecture.
- Possesses an understanding of payment processing and recurring payments.
- Possesses an understanding of enterprise business intelligence and reporting concepts and systems including master data management, data governance and data security.
- Comfortable indirectly leading and influencing resources, as well as directly owning tasks and troubleshooting issues.
- Comfortable performing a range of functions including project management, product management, business systems analysis and process improvement.
- Strong Interpersonal Communication skills with experience in resolving challenging situations in managing people and projects.
- Demonstrates expertise in business requirements development, program and project management, issue resolution, risk mitigation, and strategic communication.
- Adaptable with a focus on disciplined execution to ensure quality of deliverables, adherence to standards and continuous improvement of people, process and tools.
- Ability to garner trust among program/project team and stakeholders.
- PMP and/or CSM.
REQ - 00155