$80K — $100K *
Mayer Brown LLP is a leading global law firm with offices in 26 key business centers across the Americas, Asia, Europe and the Middle East. We are a collegial, collaborative and diverse firm where highly motivated individuals with an unwavering commitment to excellence receive the opportunity, support and development they need to grow, thrive and realize their greatest potential.
If you enjoy working with team members whose defining characteristics are achievement, initiative, professionalism, responsiveness and adaptability, you may be the person we are seeking to join our Attorney Development and Recruiting department, in Chicago, New York or Washington DC, as a Director of Professional Skills Training.
Within a global framework, this role will be responsible for identifying, developing and executing the professional skills learning and development strategy for lawyers and business services teams in the US offices and Mexico as well as working with contacts in other regions to improve the local and global professional skills offering.
The role will work closely with global L&D team members and in particular with the Director of Legal Skills Training – US and the CHRO, to ensure the delivery of a seamless service to lawyers and Business Services staff.
• Ensures that the Professional Skills team meets the needs of the business by supporting the development of lawyers and business services employees
• Develops curricula and implement programs to maximize effectiveness, quality and continued professional development and to achieve stated learning objectives
• Work in conjunction with practice group leaders, training committees, practice support lawyers [KM], partners, associates and department heads to conduct a training needs analysis and develop a strategic plan to align training content to the business priorities of the practices and departments. Use this information to revise and prioritize current programs and to design new dynamic, relevant and effective substantive training in keeping with this desired direction
• Implement a professional skills training curriculum for each practice group and level of seniority in the US/Mexico offices and for various roles in administrative departments, ensuring this is tied to practice group/department bench marks and addresses priority issues, and new developments. Manage the content and format across groups
• Identify cost-effective additional learning resources and content delivery methods/formats that range from face to face, blended and digital solutions; draw from existing access to on demand programs to supplement formal programming, and maintain and curate these on GlobalNet for target groups. For example, assist with developing varied approaches to information-based learning, such as online training modules, on-the-job learning, and associate participation in teaching. Look to increase interactivity across all programs.
• Ensure appropriate videoing/recording of training sessions in order to build up a library of training which can be utilized on demand by lawyers in the relevant groups
• Ensure that a consistent approach is taken to the production, maintenance, dissemination and continued accessibility of training materials; develop effective internal communications that increase engagement with a continuous learning culture
• Capture feedback and develop metrics to measure effectiveness of training and programming for annual reporting (e.g. retention of subject matter, knowledge/skills acquired, number of programs run, associate attendance/corresponding client utilization, evaluations etc.). Use this for cross-group fertilization and course development
• In conjunction with the legal training team, develop and maintain a network of go-to faculty across the US offices
• Deliver training personally, source external training providers, or coach lawyer presenters in effective teaching techniques for adult learners
• Effectively manages the budget to support the strategy and key projects
• Manages the CLE administration that includes accrediting programs in compliance with jurisdictional requirements and the state reporting for the Firm. Oversees the individual lawyer tracking and compliance for CLE credit and good standing requirements.
• Collaborates with the Employment, Risk and Compliance lawyers to ensure all staff and partners receive risk and compliance training to meet regulations and other legal requirements
• Manages processes for direct reports in regards to development, performance appraisals, annual compensation, goal setting and performance counselling
• Demonstrated leadership and supervisory experience
• Operational budget analysis and recommendations
• Able to determine and implement change processes to improve workflow efficiencies
• Process- and service-oriented with strong leadership and project management skills
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field, required
• Qualified attorney, desirable but not essential
• Qualified to use psychometric tools, desirable but not essential
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office products
• Experience with Learning Management and CLE administration software a strong plus
• Experience with e-learning tools a strong plus
• Experience working within the L&D function of a professional services firm desirable
• Experience linking business strategy to tangible pragmatic development programs
• Significant experience designing, developing, delivering and managing high quality learning and development programs
• Experience utilizing a variety of instructional / content delivery methods including, but not limited to, curriculum design principles, adult learning theory, e-learning and blended learning strategies (in-person and virtual); using standard and mobile device platforms
• Experience engaging and gaining support throughout an organization
• Experience of coaching or using coaching as a development tool
• Proven ability to innovate and execute to deliver results and meet business needs
• Experience managing a team and working within a matrix organizational structure
• Be comfortable acting as an advisor and presenting to senior stakeholders
• Ability to establish credible relationships at all levels
• Able to lead, motivate and develop a team to achieve objectives. Able to manage change, "see the big picture" and contribute to the development of the L&D global strategy
• A global mind-set and an ambassador for the L&D function
• May require occasional lifting of up to 20 lbs.
• May require travel to other offices as needed
• Availability to attend weekend and evening events
Valid through: 12/15/2020