Director of Product Engineering
Virtela, an NTT Communications Company, is the leading innovator in global cloud networking. We deliver award-winning services in managednetworks, security, cloud, and IT infrastructure management. The company is known for its outstanding service innovations and customer support, which have been recognized by numerous industry awards during the past year.
Virtela offers unparalleled geographic reach to more than 190 countries through its partnership with more than 750 carriers. The company is headquartered in Denver, Colorado with globally distributed Network Operations Centers in US, India, and the Philippines.
Virtela offers an attractive compensation and competitive benefits packages ranging from health, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, 401(K) with employer match, flexible spending accounts, health savings account, as well as company paid holidays and generous paid time off.
Responsibilities, Desired Skills & Experience
This is an opportunity for a highly energetic individual to join our organization as a director of a highly skilled product engineering team. This person will drive innovation in Software Defined Network (SDN), Network Function Virtualization (NFV), and service automation areas that deliver production cloud based on-demand network services. The right candidate will be responsible leading the team in the development of the next phase of NTT’s next generation service delivery platform.
- Candidate will provide strategic and tactical engineering direction and lead a team of engineers to ensure technical and business requirements are met on time. Communicate with key stakeholders to gain clarity on requirements and priorities. Follow up on commitments prior to dates requested. Drive the innovation roadmap
- Design and implement production grade software at cloud scale
- Manage various software development projects for network and cloud services, both new development and maintenance releases, to participate in the planning and business requirements process for new systems applications.
- Develop, establish and drive aggressive implementation of team operational objectives according to network and cloud service product requirements for functionality, quality, while remaining on time.
- Participate in the development of Virtela’s network and cloud architecturedesign strategy.
- Provide one-on-one coaching/development to the Global Development Team.
- Recruit, hire and develop the needed team members with advanced technical competence.
- Work with business and sales to define and build SDN enabled network and cloud services
- Manage the entire lifecycle of carrier class system software development using rapid development methodologies.
- Lead, mentor, and groom managers and team leads to achieve excellence in SDN and network service automation development.
- Evaluate technical aspects of competing products
- Propose and help build proof of concepts, prototype
- Demonstrated track record for building and managing a global team
- Show capability to work with technology vendors to test and implement new technologies for SDN enabled network and cloud services.
- Excellent understanding of SDN technologies, carrier class NFV services, cloud orchestration, and service chaining
- Good Virtualization knowledge on Linux/KVM, and VMware vSphere is preferred
- Demonstrated experience building highly scalable, distributed software systems
- Experience with Telecom industry and knowledge of Telecom circuit provisioning and networking is must needed
- 10+ years of experience in software product development (design, coding, system engineering)
- 5+ years leading network automation software development projects
- Visionary, team leader who can work independently without needing lot of input, self-driven
- BS Degree in computer science, engineering or equivalent experience desirable
- Prior experience managing global teams that provide 24/7 support to clients and customers
- Willingness and ability to conduct meetings and field communication outside of normal working hours to accommodate teams based internationally, as needed
- Ability to work effectively with clients, senior management, staff and vendors
- Previous experience working with/presenting to an executive audience
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills required.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills required
- Experience with contributing to open source code is a plus
- Experience managing the entire software development lifecycle.