Job Location: Bridgewater, NJ Alternate Location: Bloomfield, CT; Oriskany, NY; New York, NY; Work from Home
Role Value Proposition:
The Director of Product Development will have direct management responsibility and accountability for product development, management and performance of MetLife's Accident & Health product suite. The role will support the profitable growth targets in key market segments by developing product solutions and related capabilities consistent with our overall voluntary strategy. The position serves as the product subject matter expert and participates in industry related activities, including shaping industry legislation and regulation.
Desired business results are continuing to accelerate growth, maintain/increase market share and identify/execute on new product and market adjacencies.
- Impacts product development and delivery initiatives related to A&H growth strategies. Leads product development team and responsible for creating new products and management of existing product portfolio.
- Contributes to long-term product development strategy plans and works closely with senior management and segment leaders. Partners with key business area leads (i.e. operations, technology, training, and sales) involved in supporting and promoting products. May commission primary market research.
- Serves as subject matter expert on A&H product portfolio to internal partners and industry. Coaches the product development team and participates in decisions regarding; hiring, firing, promotions, performance and compensation management, and training and development.
- Coordinates the development and implementation of product development activities throughout the Group Voluntary & Worksite Benefits matrix organization. Develops and supports key product strategies for the business and market. Oversees most complex projects or with the most visible/important insurance products. Works with internal partners to establish and monitor initiatives and milestones and effective action plans to mitigate any gaps to ensure deliverables are met within agreed-upon time frames.
- Provides information and training to end-users to ensure awareness and education around key initiatives and outcomes. Drives activities to expand market and customer insights that inform action items for product development and portfolio management.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
- 10+ years of product development experience.
- Advanced knowledge of group insurance industry, competitive landscape, and keeps abreast of industry trends.
- Expert understanding of voluntary/worksite market segment.
- Strong analytical, complex problem solving, decision-making and strong leadership skills.
- Excellent communication – both verbal and written.
- Excellent planning, organization, and project management skills.
- Focuses on customers, manages performance effectively and inspires a shared vision.
- Ability to work as an effective partner with various management levels and across functional areas.