Under the direction of the Assistant Vice President of Business Services and Controller (AVP), this position manages the unit that is responsible for all phases of Ramapo College’s procurement process over capital projects (new construction, building renovation projects, and related fit-outs) and all goods and services that support ongoing facilities maintenance, repairs and general operations of the College. Working in partnership with other departments, the Director oversees the unit as it assists with the bidding process, contract negotiations and ongoing contract management for all goods and services at the College. The Director oversees the process of posting of specification documents, organizes the related procurement planning and administration documents (such as requests for proposals, contracts, change orders, and purchase orders), and ensures the integrity of process for the procurement of goods and services for general operations and capital projects. The Director participates in the development and implementation of College policies and procedures, helps introduce or adapt to new technologies, trains departmental and other staff on existing or new processes, and applies an analytical perspective to the procurement system. Provides leadership, direction and expertise regarding College procurement and contracts to ensure that quality products and services are procured in a cost-effective, efficient and ethical manner. Supervises the Purchasing department, including coaching and training, and oversees the procurement card process.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborates with the AVP, the Director of Capital Planning, the Vice President for Administration and Finance, Director of Internal Audit and College Counsel to establish effective procurement policies to meet the requirements of the Board of Trustees, applicable law and regulations, and sound industry practices. Ensures adherence to requirements and industry standards.
- Interprets College policies and applicable State law to determine appropriate methods of capital procurement (DPA, Publicly advertised RFP, Waiver of Advertising, RFQ, State Contract, GSA or Cooperatives).
- Working with the procurement staff, oversees the planning, organization, bidding, evaluation, selection, award, and contract execution for all goods and services for the general operations of the College. Provides guidance on all phases of the procurement process, and delegates responsibilities as needed to ensure a proper allocation of work load.
- Working with Capital Planning and Facilities, plans, organizes, and administers each capital and maintenance, repair and operations (MRO) procurement, including bidding, evaluation, selection, award, and contract execution. Provides guidance on all phases of the procurement process, and maintains appropriate supporting documentation of the process.
- Assists in negotiating sound business terms while supporting tight project timeline requirements and the need for a high level of service both internally and externally.
- Reviews and prepares contract awards for approval by the Vice President of Administration and Finance, and the Board of Trustees for Waiver of Advertising contract awards and other contract awards.
- Reviews and acts on all purchase orders, change orders, final change order documents, verifying supporting documentation is in order.
- Establishes and maintains effective communication and cooperative working relationships with administrators, faculty and staff, government and private agencies and/or the public.
- Reviews and verifies vendor, contractor and consultant insurance certificates, business registration certificates, performance bonds, payment bonds and all other contractual requirements prior to presentation of contracts to the Vice President for Administration and Finance.
- Manages, and arranges for staff training as appropriate; mentors, coaches, and evaluates departmental staff members and delivers training and guidance to other College constituents to ensure compliance with established practices and procedures, implements new policies and keeps employees abreast of current changes and standards.
- Conducts weekly unit meetings to ensure open communication.
- Participates in weekly Business Services Direct Report meetings to keep the unit apprised of current activities.
- Keeps the AVP of Business Services of ongoing activities, issues and/or concerns relating to the department and related activities.
- Assists with the financial review and settlement of construction claims, disputes and OPRA requests.
- Prepares reports, approval requests, and other documents for the Board of Trustees as required.
- Administers and interprets applicable federal and state laws that impact upon the Finance Division or other departments, including Affirmative Action and Prevailing Wage compliance as they apply to public works projects.
- Prepares and coordinates the preparation of reports and analysis setting forth progress, trends and appropriate recommendations or conclusions for the State of New Jersey’s various mandated reporting and regulatory compliance programs.
- Prepares and coordinates the preparation of reports and analysis setting forth progress, trends and appropriate recommendations or conclusions for various College wide or departmental programs.
- Maintains interface with vendors and service representatives to ensure that materials and requirements meet established standards and that applicable policies, practices and procedures are understood and followed; survey markets for latest trends in price, availability, delivery and quality.
- Oversees all e-procurement initiatives. Manages the College’s credit card program. This includes the procurement card program and other business credit cards. Activities include supervising the distribution of cards, cardholder training, new card application processing, card changes and cancellations, on-line transaction sign-offs, uploading of transaction data into Banner, program reporting, and program auditing. Collects data and reports on Purchasing Department contribution to cost savings, cost avoidance and revenue generation.
- Plans and conducts meetings and training seminars with subordinates and College staff to ensure compliance with established practices and procedures, implements new policies and keeps employees abreast of current changes and standards.
- Serves as a member of the President’s Committee for Campus Sustainability, which is charged with implementing the American College & University Presidents Climate Control Commitment of moving the College towards carbon neutrality.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree in a field related to the position to be filled or equivalency as determined by the appointing authority.
- Four to seven years of experience in a progressive, similar role required with similar managerial experience recommended.
- Must demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills, analytical skills, effective administrative, organizational and negotiation skills and the ability to lead and motivate staff. Experience working with a diverse group of peers and clients is required.
- Must demonstrate advanced level skills with Word, Excel and Access or other database software.
- Previous College experience and working knowledge of the Banner database system or a like database system, procurement cards and e-procurement is desirable.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Procurement Process and its role within an organization is a required.
- This position requires excellent analytical, problem-solving and leadership ability. Ability to work effectively in a team environment and with all levels of the organization in a collaborative way is required.
- Demonstrated ability to mentor and develop the staff professionally is required.
- Must possess outstanding interpersonal skills, with a strong customer focus.
- Demonstrated ability to research, interpret laws and regulations, and generate solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage multitask operations/projects, establish workload priorities, balance diverse tasks, work on multiple projects simultaneously, and deal with confidential and sensitive matters in a professional manner is required.
- Knowledge of applicable New Jersey State law and regulations surrounding procurement at a state institution a plus.