The Director of Folding Carton Pricing and Business Analysis is responsible for the advancement, management and execution of the Folding Carton Division’s pricing strategies, tactics, analytics and processes. This position reports to Sr. Director of Converting Pricing and is closely involved in developing the roadmap for the transformative change of the pricing function and the communication and execution of the enhancements. The Director oversees a team and manages the full cycle of RFPs/RFQs and other pricing requests through business analyses, price development and partnership with Sales, Operational, Finance, Marketing and other organizations. This position’s objectives include contributing to the company’s financial goals through continuous improvements in day-to-day business analyses, price recommendations and positioning the company for long-term growth and profitability. This role requires a lot of hands-on work, efficient team management, close partnership with multiple stakeholders up to SVP and EVP levels and effective introduction of best practices.
How you will impact WestRock:
• Manages a team that supports the Folding Carton business, typically with the activities listed below:
• Coordinates, manages and tracks all RFP / RFQ, contract extensions and other pricing/quote requests; partner with Sales and Operations leadership to review opportunities and contribute to maximizing individual deal profitability and to improving win/hit rate
• Designs and performs all pricing, deal review, profitability and other business analyses that support pricing related decisions, providing data-driven analytics tailored to the specific business situation and providing thoughtful recommendations and insights to drive leadership discussion
• Owns transfer pricing between Paperboard and converting divisions. In charge of framework and coordination with plants, mills and finance. Facilitates internal pricing on non-transfer price products
• Develops and owns the framework for price change tracking; provides price change information to Finance for revenue forecasting
• Executes and tracks pricing related approvals and post mortem of won and lost opportunities
• Reviews and recommends commercial terms and language and structures for contracts, including price change mechanisms
• Maintains and manages contracts database, contract related pricing and price change models
• Facilitates market commentary for business stakeholders in conjunction with the marketing team
• Supports other activities and ad-hoc requests as needed
In partnership with Senior Director, this individual socializes, develops, leads, and executes the transformative change within the pricing function, framework, processes and analytics in order to actively contribute to the company’s financial goals and long-term outlook, including but not limited to below projects and objectives:
• Closely engage with multiple stakeholders in Sales, Operations, Marketing, Finance and others up to SVP and EVP levels to identify their goals, pain points, process gaps and necessary improvements to help develop and drive the pricing transformation vision, roadmap and special projects. Lead communication, secure stakeholder buy-in, support and engagement in pricing improvements
• Improve price recommendations to grow both top and bottom lines and to optimize assets productivity by enriching with advanced pricing analytics, competitive intelligence, customer/product segmentation and other relevant information
• Develop a new framework for price development and price guidelines with proper accounting for customer and product segmentation, competitive intelligence, market conditions, etc.
• Develop the framework, process and tools to collect, track and disseminate customer profiles and competitive intelligence and to advance customer and product segmentation in partnership with other stakeholders. Collect and systemize information on competitive capabilities vs WestRock to provide actionable data-driven pricing and strategic decisions
• Continuously elevate pricing and business intelligence analytics by enriching with important product, customer, competitive, capacity and internal data
• Engage with pricing stakeholders in sister divisions to share knowledge and best practices and to work towards process alignment where necessary
• Continuously review and improve/rationalize pricing processes to drive better data-driven decisions, increase productivity of the pricing team and other stakeholders involved in pricing and to most effectively support the pricing strategy and tactics
The Director is accountable for the following:
• Leads through WestRock’s behaviors:
Recognize performance: recognizes team and individuals when performance is outstanding. Recognizes extraordinary wins of commercial stakeholders.
Empower: empowers team to grow their capabilities. Creates an environment centered on idea sharing and continuous improvement to better serve stakeholders and enhance pricing capabilities. Encourages team to partner with other pricing teams, sales, ops, finance, marketing, etc.
Align goals: sets team goals that align to business needs as well as pricing improvement for the business and segment. Creates individual goals to further develop individual capabilities.
Communicate the why: leads communication with stakeholders for rationale of analytical approach and influences stakeholders for process change / improvement. Provides thoughtful, balanced feedback to both stakeholders and team members.
• Reviews work of individuals on the team as appropriate to ensure quality work product. Takes action and problem solves without prompting when issues arise
• Directs the thought process for the team’s activities. Continuously strives to augment and enhance team’s capabilities and processes to improve pricing capabilities for WestRock
• Draws insights and makes recommendations to improve profitability of WestRock
• Provides managerial oversight and leadership on pricing policy and strategy implementation
What you need to succeed:
• 12+ years of overall work experience
• 7+ years of relevant pricing, analytical experience; pricing and/or function transformation experience
• 5+ years of relevant paper or manufacturing industry and B2B environment experience
• 4+ years of direct supervisory experience
• Relevant experience in a large public company with B2B business model, preferably in manufacturing
• High business acumen and a track record of effective partnership with key stakeholders
• Experienced in conceptualizing, gaining stakeholder buy-in and implementing transformations and major improvements in pricing
• Relevant background developing sophisticated pricing frameworks, models and tools that drive value-based pricing and that reduce the dependence on discounting to win business. A track record of helping sales team effectively communicate the value and defend the price
• Proven team development and leadership skills with proficiency to manage a small team of professionals that develop pricing models and tools, perform advanced data analysis, articulate and explain the analysis and prepare and present results to all levels of the organization
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
• Advanced Excel skills and a proven record of building advanced analytics and repeatable frameworks
• Outstanding analytical skills and the capacity to teach and grow the team’s skills and capabilities