With over 45years of experience in helping hundreds of hospital and outpatient pharmacies, we provide access to best practice strategies and tactics to control costs, improve workflow and enhance safety. Cardinal Health Innovative Delivery Solutions is one of the largest employers of acute-care pharmacist in the United States. Cardinal Health is the employer of choice for pharmacists because we offer a variety of career opportunities in pharmacy leadership, clinical specialties, remote order entry, business management, medication therapy management and more.
This position is located in Newport News, VA at an Inpatient Hospital Pharmacy managed by Cardinal Health.
The Director of Pharmacy is responsible for overseeing all medication storage and preparation in the health system or organization. The director of pharmacy ensures that the pharmacy provides optimal services; meets all legal, accreditation, and certification requirements; and complies with all applicable policies, procedures, codes, and standards of the organization.
- Develops and enforces policies and procedures that promote cost-effective, appropriate, and safe medication use.
- Develops and maintains a medical staff-approved formulary.
- Supervises medication storage and preparation areas throughout the facility.
- Provides for the educational needs of health care professionals, patients, and their families.
- Ensures maintenance of an adequate medication supply.
- Ensures the integrity of the medication supply.
- Establishes specifications for the procurement of medications, chemicals, and biologicals.
- Ensures strict control and accountability for medications dispensed to patients or distributed to floor stock.
- Assures adequate control and documentation of controlled substances.
- Ensures applicable continuing education records and licensure are maintained in department files.
- Supervises all pharmacy personnel and recruits, interviews, promotes, disciplines, and terminates pharmacy staff.
- Develops job descriptions and performance standards. Evaluates and counsels staff on their performance.
- Prepares work schedules and monitors workload statistics. Maintains an appropriate staffing level.
- Provides for the educational needs of the pharmacy staff.
- Prepares a pharmacy budget annually.
- Reviews monthly financialstatistics and plans expenditures within budget guidelines.
- Monitors and justifies all expenses exceeding budgeted targets.
- Ensures preparation and submission of patient charges and financialreports to administration in accordance with policy.
- Administers reports, documents, payroll records, statistical surveys, and otherrequired data.
- Ensures compliance with health system policies and procedures that apply to pharmacy services. Ensures compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations.
- Bachelor’s degree in pharmacy required PharmD preferred
- Must be a licensed Pharmacist and eligible for licensure in the state of Virginia
- 3+ years hospital experience with 4+ years in a management position required
- Ability to negotiate, influence, and resolve customer/employee problems or conflicts to meet the needs of external and internal customers
- Ability to develop, implement and lead all aspects of pharmacy operation
- Licensure in other states preferred
- In-patient hospital pharmacy experience is required
- Computer savvy to learn and perform successful operation of multiple pharmacy information systems.
- Ability to hear, write, and speak clearly in order to communicate with customers and health care professionals
- Excellent planning, organizing and leadership skills
- Strong customer orientation and negotiation skills
- Pressure to perform in emergency situations
- Overall decision making responsibility
- Ability to work on call or be in an on call rotation.