Director of People
8 - 10 years experience • Consumer Goods / Miscellaneous
Our client is building the nation’s first national brand of locally-grown, great tasting produce.
Consumers want to trust their food supply and want a simple, transparent and sustainable food system. As such, local produce is currently the strongest industry demand trend. According to recent research, more than half of consumers report that it is more important to buy local than organic, and farmers markets have increased almost five-fold since 1994. And yet, supermarket chains remain unable to meet their customers’ year-round demand for fresh and local produce.
Why They Exist
- For the health of the planet: By improving the environmental impact of the food supply chain
- For the health of our society: To increase the relative consumption of whole and fresh foods
Their rapid growth has created the need to find an exceptional Director of People. With this exciting opportunity, you will join a leadership team that is passionate about building a great company to improve the food system.
The Director of People originates and leads Human Resources practices and objectives that will provide an employee-oriented, high performance culture that emphasizes empowerment, quality, productivity, goal attainment, and the recruitment and ongoing development of a superior workforce. This position reports to the Chief Financial Officer.
The successful candidate will be:
- a strong leader who is willing and able to work at both the strategic and tactical level
- a self-starter responsible for managing multiple priorities and meeting deadlines in a fast-paced time-sensitive environment
- capable of building fundamental human resource processes and ensuring compliance with federal, state and city regulations
- good at developing and mentoring teams in multiple locations
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Recruiting and staffing
- Payroll and benefits administration
- Performance management and improvement systems
- Organization development
- Employment and compliance to regulatory concerns, federal, state and city regulations
- Employee orientation/onboarding, development, and training
- Policy development and documentation
- Employee relations
- Company employee and community communication
- Employee safety, welfare, wellness and health
- Employee services and counseling
- Coordinates or conducts exit interviews to determine reasons behind separations
- Consults with legal counsel as appropriate, or as directed by the CEO, on personnel matters
- Develops and maintains a human resource information system that meets the organization's personnel information needs
- Development of an employee-oriented company culture that emphasizes quality, continuous improvement, and high performance
Qualifications & Characteristics of Desired Candidate:
- Very strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with stakeholders, management and staff
- Strong organizational skills that reflect the ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail
- Expert level written and verbal communication skills
- Forward looking thinker, who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions
- Results driven individual who enjoys a fast-paced environment
- Self confidence to represent the organization internally and externally
- Confidential in nature
- Spanish language skills desired, but not required
Job Location / Travel:
- Position based in greater NYC area; Manhattan/Westchester
- Occasional US travel to our clients’ operating locations
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree and 7+ years related experience or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Master's degree
- SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) or SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) credential.