The Director of Payroll is responsible for developing and executing MAA’s strategy for the management and execution of multi-state payroll operations for the Company. This position reports directly to the Chief Human Resources Officer and manages a team of payroll administrators. As a key leadership role in HR responsible for supporting the implementation of MAA’s People Strategy, the successful candidate will embody and work to reinforce MAA’s Core Values throughout all aspects of HR. Those values include:
- Appreciating the uniqueness of each individual
- Communicating openly and with integrity
- Embracing opportunities
- Doing the right thing at the right time for the right reasons
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Partners within HR to establish the vision and strategic goals for HR and the payroll management function in support of MAA’s People Strategy and business objectives.
- Directs the management of payroll systems as a component of an enterprise human capital management (HCM) system.
- Leads the documentation of business requirements, configuration, testing, data validation and ongoing maintenance of payroll systems.
- Works cross-functionally within HR to develop and manage the integration and interdependencies within the enterprise HCM to ensure optimal functionality.
- Directs the preparation and execution of multi-state payroll processing, including calculating, balancing and reconciling payroll calculations, and resolving calculation errors.
- Oversees the reconciliation of payroll deposits, tax withholdings, wage garnishments, and voluntary deductions.
- Oversees the calculations and processing of federal and state taxes and social security withholdings and other deductions, insurance, benefits, pension/retirement, 401(k) contributions and company match.
- Audits, verifies and reconciles payroll, employee benefits and related data.
- Audits payroll information for accuracy.
- Monitors system-generated and ad-hocreports alerting to problems or errors. Recruits, selects, develops and manages the performance of a team of payroll professionals.
- Provides direction, guidance and coaching to ensure process efficiency, data accuracy, and customer service. Maintains awareness of payroll-related laws, regulations and best practices to ensure effective and efficient payroll operations.
- Serves as an expert resource for all payroll matters within HR and the payroll function.
- Manages and ensures compliance with various state and local laws and regulations for multi-state payroll activities.
- Ensures escalated payroll issues or concerns are addressed and resolved.
- Responds to inquiries regarding policies, procedures and programs.
- Manages relationships with internal and external auditors and state and federal agencies.
- Ensures and facilitates the review and assessment of payroll practices and procedures for operational effectiveness and compliance.
- Develops, monitors, and reports metrics for the payroll function to manage and achieve results.
- Develops and analyzes reports.
- Travels overnight as needed for property visits, meetings, training, and/or special events.
- Performs other related duties as assigned to meet the needs of the business.
- Bachelor’s degree and 10 to 15years of multi-state payroll operations experiencerequired, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with federal, state and local payrolltaxes and reconciliation experiencerequired.
- 5 years of supervisory/management experiencerequired.
- Experience with Workday, UltiPro, ADP or related human resource and/or payroll systems strongly preferred.
- Experience with payroll systems conversion and integration preferred
- Professional certification in payroll (e.g., CPP) strongly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of payroll policies and procedures and corresponding federal, state and local regulations Mathematical competency to calculate and audit complex calculations
- Leadership and management knowledge and skills to select, coach, and develop others
- Knowledge and skills to develop and deliver payroll-related training and communications
- Skill and ability to assertively address, manage and resolve interpersonal conflict effectively and efficiently
- Consultative and customer service orientation
- Professional and effective verbal and written communication skills, including executive presence and public-speaking
- Computer skills with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) Ability to prioritize, manage multiple tasks and projects, and meet deadlines
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Qualitative and quantitative analytical skills and attention to detail
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and maintain appropriate discretion
Physical and Environmental Requirements:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to
- Talk or hear.
- Stand; walk;
- Use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.