Position: Director of Operations, Solid Dose
Reports to: SVP Operations
Location: Phoenix, AZ
About the Company:
Founded in 1996, the company is a privately held manufacturer of vitamins and nutritional supplements. The company was created to bring a higher level of quality and service to contract and private-label manufacturing. Today, the company serves some of the industry?s largest and most-respected customers in the retail, multi-level marketing, e-commerce and sports nutrition industries.
Their state-of-the-art, environmentally friendly facilities in Phoenix, Arizona, exceed cGMP standards and allow them to grow in anticipation of their customers? needs. With over 350,000 square-feet of production and warehousing space, as well as continued expansion plans, the company is equipped to bring their customer?s product vision to market.
The company employs over 800 associates and generates revenues in excess of $200mm annually. They are majority owned by a regionally focused private equity firm with a focus on long-term value creation and stewardship.
The Director of Manufacturing, Solid Dose will lead the operations of the company?s 150 employee, solid dose manufacturing plant in Phoenix AZ. This facility generates nearly half of the company?s revenues producing vitamin/nutraceutical tablets and capsules. In this role, you will be is responsible for all operational aspects of the facility ensuring that the highest quality products are produced and delivered on-time with minimal yield loss. To achieve goals, will define and monitor operational standards and KPI?s and drive the team to attain. Additionally, you will foster a continuous improvement culture towards achieving operational excellence.
- Oversee all production and plant issues for the Phoenix facility ensuring a high-quality product is produced and delivered on time.
- Coordinate production in close partnership with sales, purchasing, receiving and logistics.
- Provide updates to the executive team on monthly and quarterly goals and performance results.
- Ensure organizational compliance to the company quality systems and cGMP programs.
- Drive the prompt resolution of any production or quality issues.
- Develop and cross train staff by mentoring, teaching and setting performance standards that align with the plant?s KPI?s. Identify key areas of development to make employees more valuable contributors to the organization. Build the bench strength.
- Review all personnel changes (hiring, termination, transfers, promotions, disciplinary actions).
- Work with production team and engineering to recommend equipment to increase output and reduce waste. Research and perform ROI analysis to make informed decisions.
- Direct the production organization?s response to all non-conforming reports and corrective actions to determine root cause of any production issues.
- Identifies, recommends and implements changes to improve productivity and reduce cost with an eye for operational excellence.
- Support all local, state, and federal safety requirements ensuring the facility is in full compliance. Adhere to and drive a safe working environment.
Desired Skills & Experience
- A four-year college degree is required.
- A minimum of 10 years total experience with a minimum of 5years of previous management of people in a manufacturing environment.
- Previous experience in the pharmaceutical, vitamin or nutritional supplement industry is strongly preferred.
- Previous experience leading solid dose (tablets, capsules, powders) operations is ideal.
- A proven track record of success delivering high quality product on time.
- Previous track record of using continuous improvement tools (Lean, Six-Sigma, Toyota Production Systems, etc.) to drive improvements in plant operations.
- Proven track record of developing promotable employees.