The Director of Operations is responsible for directing and coordinating the manufacturing and logistics functions of the company. They oversee all areas of manufacturing and logistics to ensure products are manufactured on schedule and within quality standards and cost objectives. As a member of the leadership team, the Director of Operations is a pro-active and collaborative partner, working in concert at all levels of the organization to ensure the growth and future development of the company.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- BS in Business or related field of experience preferred.
- 10+ years' progressive leadership role in an operational/manufacturing environment preferred.
- Operations management experience in a consumer product environment or similar industry is highly desired.
- Knowledge of budgetary practices to develop annual budget, analyze data and patterns, and prepare and present department and operational statistics.
- Must have strong analytical skills and ability to tie detailed analysis to larger strategy
- Strong PC proficiency is essential (Windows environment) with knowledge of computer systems, spreadsheet and financial systems programs and applications. Working knowledge of Sage 100, Access and QlikView or similar reporting tools is desired.
- Knowledge of organization's strategic business and employee performance objectives.
- Knowledge of ITAR/Department of State, FMS/Department of Defense, and BIS/Commerce, regulations a plus. Knowledge of ISO quality systems is desired.
- Proven ability to lead during times of significant growth and change. Ability to establish credibility and influence with executives through both formal and informal leadership.
- Must exhibit a strong dedication to the mission, vision, values, and goals of the company with the ability and desire to train and guide all employees toward the attainment of company goals in a team-oriented environment.
- Must possess a high degree of initiative, judgment, discretion and decision-making skills in order to achieve department and company objectives.
- Ability to evaluate operations and advise solutions as they relate to policies, goals and objectives, costs, and rate levels.
- Ability to delegate responsibility and authority to staff.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively communicate and collaborate at all levels of the organization.
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to exercise sound judgment; making decisions based on accurate and timely analyses.
- Innovative, resourceful, results-orientated, sense of urgency.
- Dependable with high level of integrity
- Develop and direct professional and self-directed manufacturing, logistics, and manufacturing engineering teams. Must be able to utilize strong leadership skills to provide coaching, motivation and direction. Provide training and skills assessment tools to help enhance performance and stimulate career growth. Responsible for hiring, training, performance feedback and evaluations.
- Identify and direct the evolution of all manufacturing, logistics, and manufacturing engineering operational capabilities.
- Insure the co-development of manufacturing equipment and process capability is in alignment with new technology development and iterative product introductions.
- Leverage and balance internal and external labor resources to ensure full utilization of production while maintaining cost effectiveness, incorporating both short and long-term company strategic growth initiatives.
- Drive for continuous improvement in operations by creating strategies that develop personnel, contain and reduce labor and raw material costs.
- Identify, plan and implement cost reduction priorities and activities.
- Improve and expand internal quality systems.
- Promote and cultivate the integration of NPI and engineering into the manufacturing operation workflow to ensure time-to-market and projected profit goals are met.
- Responsible for directing Quality Control and Inventory Management functions.
- Responsible for facilities and EH&S oversite.
- Exposure to moderate levels of noise in a moderately paced environment.
- Some weekend and evening hours may be required during peak times.
- Regularly required to sit at a computer for long period of times.
- Occasionally required to walk up and down stairs.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
- Occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.