Director Of Operations / Plant Director
Our client is the leader in electrical products and systems for use in residential, commercial, and industrial buildings. They are a $6 billion global company with over 30,000 employees globally with products sold in 180 countries. This global leader currently seeks a Plant Director to join one of their newly acquired divisions. The individual in this role is responsible for leading a plant with nearly 400 employees in Fairfield, New Jersey. This role is responsible for planning, directing, and coordinating production floor activities, ensuring that customer expectations, quality objectives, productivity, and cost savings goals are met while providing a safe work environment for employees. The position will provide direct leadership to department supervisors, team leaders, and support production employees.
Main Job Duties
- Participates with and provides direction as necessary to shop floor supervisors in resolving immediate quality, production, scheduling, technical or personnel issues. Supervises Fabrication Engineering & CNC Manager, Equipment Maintenance & Facilities Manager, Woodshop Manager, Powder Coating Manager, Metal Fab Director, Enclosure Assembly Manager, and Accessories Manager among others.
- Ensures compliance with all safety, environmental, local and federal regulations by plant leadership and employees.
- Maintains a key focus on Safety, Quality, Delivery, and Cost as well as champion a continuous improvement culture.
- Manages and executes improvement projects that support overall production process improvement in the plant and other variable cost savings opportunities. Champions and offers support for all Lean activities.
- Timely communication of goal progress, roadblocks and solutions to the VP of Operations.
- Responsible to protect company assets through supporting an effective and consistent preventative maintenance program.
- Resolves production scheduling problems by analyzing reports; develops solutions.
- Assists with the annual strategic and business planning process providing key input from the production operations.
- Responsible for the Production Floor 5S, Housekeeping, and Material Flow.
- Continually reviews manufacturing processes and make appropriate recommendations to the VP of Operations for improving productivity, efficiency and/or quality. Maintains and implements cost improvement/control programs.
- ApplyLean manufacturing principles.
- Ability to lead cross functional teams to conduct root cause analysis of all defects and lead the mistake proofing efforts.
- Coach and mentor supervisors and production employees.
- Ensures that the requiredmanpower competence, skill, knowledge, and equipment required to achieve the production/demand targets.
- Responsible to ensure adherence to all procedure, set- up requirements and work instructions in compliance with ISO 9000 & ISO 14000
- Plan, assign and/or supervise the goals and work of others.
- Effectively manage, develop, and motivate direct and indirect reports. Performs annual reviews and employee improvement plans for shop floor leadership team. Supports annual review process for hourly associates.
- Ensure personal and professional development of direct reports. Responsible for all aspects of performance management including interviewing, hiring, training, performance evaluations, and recognition.
- Provide effective, constructive and appropriate feedback and leadership to direct reports to foster positive, team atmosphere.
- Consistently support compliance by maintaining the privacy and confidentiality of information, protecting the assets of the organization, acting with ethics and integrity, reporting non-compliance, and adhering to applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations, and the Company?s policies and procedures.
- Perform other similar and related duties as required
- Minimum 15years experience in manufacturing/production
- Minimum 7 years plant management or Director of Operations experience in a production and/or manufacturing environment, including direct supervision of hourly and salaried employees
- Metal fabrication is a plus.
- LEAN (Value-Stream mapping) experience. Six-sigma necessary
- Significant experience managing a facility
- Experience working within quality systems (APQP, Control Plans, TQM, SPC)
- Demonstrated understanding and utilization of lean tools to help facilitate continuous improvement in a manufacturing environment.
- Demonstrated capability of managing a focus factory.
- SAP or large scale ERP/MRP experience
- Able to grow into a multi-site Manufacturing role.
- Bachelors degree in business, engineering, or related.
- Be detail-oriented and have excellent follow-through skills
- A change agent with emotional intelligence capable managing high and low.
- Proven ability to present facts and recommendations effectively in oral and written form
- Proven ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Proven ability to make sound decisions within established guidelines
- Must have the ability to make recommendations to effectively resolve problems or issues, by using judgment that is consistent with standards, practices, policies, procedures, regulation or government law
- Ability to demonstrate flexible and efficient time management and to appropriately prioritize workload based upon organization or department needs
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to read, write and speak English fluently
- Bilingual Spanish is a plus/not required
- Ability to operate/work in a high growth & entrepreneurial environment
- Proficient in the use of personal computers, internet and MS Office suite of software including Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook (or related e-mail system)
- Ability to interpret standards, specifications, procedures, drawings, etc.
- Must have demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills and effective organizational skills
- Proven ability to manage people; train and motivate employees, as well as delegate effectively
- Must be able to function in a deadline driven environment
- Excellent project management, planning, and organizational skills with the ability to effectively manage several projects at one time while providing high attention to details and excellent follow-through skills
- Must possess high degree of professionalism and ability to handle confidential information