Director of Operations
MEDNAX has grown from a single medical practice to a trusted health solutions partner with more than 10,000 employees and a presence in 50 states. Through our family of companies, we provide:
- physician services spanning the continuum of patient care
- revenue cycle management solutions
- performance improvement consulting
We invite you to grow with us and help shape the future of health care.
The Operations team at MEDNAX is responsible for the oversight of medical group practices and successful market growth and development in a designated region. Practices include Anesthesiology, Adult Critical Care and Women’s and Children’s Services. Practice and market oversight includes strategic evaluation of the business, practice operations, leading the team and team member development, risk management, managing growth of the market/region, and negotiating and influencing collaborative outcomes with all constituencies. Successful results are dependent on all Operations team members participating in these activities and working together towards Organizational goals. The operations team spans a spectrum of leadership that includes Operations Specialist, Operations Manager, Director of Operations, Regional Vice President and Regional President, with each role having an important and valuable part to play in the success of the team and region.
The Director of Operations works closely with regional and practice leadership to drive optimum Practice Life Cycle Management including organizational dynamics, financial performance and same store practice growth, operational efficiency, physician and hospital contracting, and safety advocacy and oversight in the assigned territory. The Director of Operations has direct oversight for practice medical directors and practice managers and is the primary driver to successfully integrate all physicians and practices into a one MEDNAX culture and ideology through efficient and effective management of all practice operations. Responsible for developing and maintaining strong relationships with all hospital partners. Serves as a driver of all shared services that support the practice.
Ensures Optimum Practice Lifecycle Management:
- Monitors practice performance; reviews monthly financials. Manages monthly financial and operational reviews with Regional President, Regional Vice President, practice management and Medical Director.
- Evaluates practice productivity and provides recommendations for improvement.
- Assists the marketing department to ensure practices have market presence, proper branding and the opportunity to increase patient volume.
- Successfully works with Clinical Services and drives Safety and Quality initiatives.
- Appropriately assesses risks to the practice and mitigates accordingly (business, financial, personnel and regulatory risks).
- Provides review and assistance of contract management of employed physicians, partnered hospitals and third-party payers.
- Works effectively with the managed care team to ensure that negotiations with third party payers are handled appropriately.
- Assures optimal delivery of Mednax Shared Service support.
- Assures and fosters One Mednax culture.
- Effectively manages the P&L of the assigned practices and tactics for meeting financial performance targets.
- Responsible for operations summary reviews, analysis, reporting, budget and forecasting.
- RCM liaison.
- Managed care liaison.
Business and Growth Strategy:
- Plans and executes ongoing strategic initiatives and planning for all practices.
- Performs market assessments and develops tactics to grow market share.
- Partners with business integration team to successfully onboard new practices, grow existing practices and add service lines.
- Leads physician recruiting initiatives including networking, interviewing, oversee credentialing process, contract negotiation and onboarding.
- Responsible for employee and hospital contracts at inception and renewal.
- Establishes and maintains strong collaborative relationships with hospital administration leaders; provides annual report.
- Responsible for signing off on the annual reports (ensuring that all known, relevant information has been incorporated into the projections).
- Serves as main point of contact for practices and hospital administrators within assigned market.
Management and Leadership
- Manages Practice Medical Directors and Practice Management. This includes evaluating performance, creating development plans to address performance or behavioral gaps and coaching the team towards optimal performance.
- Leads the recruitment process for practice leaders.
- Sets a positive example for the team in terms of professionalism and demonstration of MEDNAX core values.
- The successful candidate must have a strong background in financial management and analysis including development of pro formas, contracting, business development and physician relations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to negotiate and build relationships with physicians, physician groups, otherhealthcare professionals and hospital partners is required.
- Experience successfully leading and motivating teams is required.
- Must be a critical thinker, able to logically evaluate all aspects of situations and problems, to arrive at optimal solutions.
- Must have strong negotiation skills, with the ability to find collaborative and positive outcomes.
- Must have a high degree of personal accountability, energy and an entrepreneurial mindset.
- Travelrequired primarily within market.
Education Level: Bachelor’s degreerequired, CPA and/or MBA preferred.
Experience Years: 7 + years’ experience in healthcare management is required.
Experience Industry: 3 – 5 years relevant professional experiencerequired, and 2-3 years’ healthcare operations management experiencerequired.